So You’re Graduating and Looking for a Job

I’m literally (read as Chris Traeger) less than three weeks away from walking across that big Civic Center stage. At 7:30pm on May 2nd, my tassel will commence its journey from the right hand side of my cap to the left hand side; after that I’m in the big world.

For a lot of you graduating will most likely mean you’re headed off to grad school to get your masters then sit pretty in your office space in the big world too. Either way, once you walk across that stage reality is waiting with open arms to grab you and give you a big fat kiss on the cheek like that one overly touchy aunt at reunions. And you’re going to hate it.

One of the hardest things I’ve had to accept as a soon to be college graduate, is that I need to find a job. I feel like Meredith Grey pleading for McDreamy’s attention in all of my cover letters. Love me. Pick me. Choose me. Someone please, just hire me?

So I figured, since a lot of you are more than likely in the same boat as me, here’s what you can expect while trying to find a job:

1. The Facebook friend that has all the interviews lined up and wont stop bragging about it.

2. The friend that already has the job lined up for them the second they get off the stage.

3. Losing track of all your cover letters and realizing you sent the wrong one to the wrong company.

4. Applying for all the jobs even if you only meet 20% of the criteria.

5. Forgetting where you applied to said jobs and getting a phone call from x,y,z, place and pretending you remember applying there.

6. Reading that you’ll be working 30+ hours a week for no pay because internships.

7. Getting your first interview and realizing you’re not prepared.

8. Getting your first rejection letter.

9. “So tell me about yourself…” “Like what do you want to know specifically?”

10. Realizing you may have to live back at home with your mom and her four cats.

11. Actually moving back home and realizing you don’t have to pay for anything (if you’re lucky.)

12. Getting the call that you’ve been hired after months of searching.

13. Realizing you have to move to a brand new city where you know no one.

14. But hey this means you get to reinvent you!

15. Just remember, you’ll get the job in the end! And until then, enjoy your time J 

Her Campus at Florida State University.