neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Samantha Rexroad: From Circus Member to the FBI

Name: Samantha Rexroad

Major: Criminology

Minor: Psychology 

Year: Senior

Hometown: Brandon, Fla.

Courtesy: Sam Rexroad

Her Campus (HC): To start off simple, what led you to choose to attend FSU?

Sam Rexroad (SR): I chose FSU because it was one of two schools in the country that had a circus and I was really interested in learning circus arts. I also loved the campus!

HC: You’re a criminology major. So, what’s been your favorite criminology class that you’ve taken and why?

SR: I took International Human Rights Law and State Crime with Professor Coonan last semester and that was by far the best criminology class I have taken here. He is an amazing public speaker and he makes it easy to learn and understand. He is extremely knowledgeable and kind of a big deal in Human Rights law so it was interesting taking a class with him.

Courtesy: Kaitlin Simpson (Kaitlin Erica Photography)

HC: I know you’re a member of the FSU circus, can you tell me a little bit about when you got started and what led you to join?

SR: I was a dancer from the age of three to eighteen, but there was always something about the circus that interested me. Like I said before, I partially chose FSU because of the circus. I took acrobatics for about seven years and always loved that more than any other style of dance I was trained in. I had been interested in Cirque Du Soleil for years and wanted to pursue that after college.

HC: What acts have you performed in the past and what do you currently perform?

SR:  I was trained in hand balancing originally, which is basically three people climbing, stacking, and holding each other in cool positions. I have been on Triple Trapeze for three years now and I love it. Last year I was put on the Lyra which had been my dream act since day one. It’s a metal circle in the air that spins and I have a partner up there with me.

HC: What advice do you have for someone interested in auditioning?

SR: Don’t be intimidated by anyone. There are so many crazy talented people in the FSU circus it is easy to feel overwhelmed, but everyone in this organization is willing to help, give advice, and be your friend. I would also suggest figuring out how to do pull-ups, pushups, sit-ups etc. because we do have strength requirements for each act that is above the ground. The coaches want to make sure we are capable of being up there without hurting ourselves.

HC: What’s your favorite part of being a circus member?

SR: The training. I love the challenge that the circus brings. There is always something else to learn. I also love being a part of something only two schools have and getting to perform throughout the school year. I have family and friends that come every year from all over. Not only to see me but the show in general. It is not a childish, sloppy production. We train and work very hard to put on a very professional show that most people are surprised by. 

HC: You also work, what advice do you have for people when it comes to the best ways to balance multiple things in college?

SR: Stay organized and stay a few steps ahead. I have a planner I take everywhere because, without it, I wouldn’t know what practices I have when and which job I should be driving to. Working two jobs while going to school has taught me to plan out everything in my life. What I’m wearing, what I’m eating and what I’ll be doing three weeks from tomorrow at 4 p.m. I actually prefer my schedule to be as hectic as it is. I have gotten very used to waking up between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m. every morning which allows me to work out before work or school most days. I think having two jobs the past year has been the best thing to happen to me and my GPA. 

HC: You’re now in your last semester, how has FSU shaped your college experience?

SR: FSU has been nothing short of amazing and I’m not ready to leave. This school has amazing opportunities readily available to you. It gives you the best of both worlds. These last two years consisted of me making up for my late nights of not studying when I was getting a ‘C’ in Baby Bio as a freshman.

HC: Any advice for incoming freshmen as you begin to close this chapter of your life?

SR: Go to every football game even when it’s really hot outside. Go to the gym (even if it’s only a couple days a week). It helps with the stress of exams and all the pizza. If you know what you want to do, look hard and get an internship, even if it’s unpaid. Leaving college with a degree in one hand and a resume in the other the only thing really making you stand out from everyone else in your shoes is the experiences you’ve already been through.

HC: What are your future plans?

SR: I want to be in the FBI. I really want to be in their Behavioral Analysis Unit which is the ultimate goal. I plan on going back for a master’s degree in Clinical Psychology in the near future. Right after graduation, my goal is to get a job with the federal government in whatever way I can. I would love to get experience in the Federal Bureau of Prisons as I work my way up to the FBI.

Courtesy: Keenan Rogers

Malorie is a senior double majoring in Media Communications and Criminology. She loves anything pop culture, criminal profiler, animal, or food related. She lives for sarcasm and being witty.
Her Campus at Florida State University.