Reasons Why I’m Not a Fan of Netflix’s ‘Big Mouth’

This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU.

Netflix has created addictive, show-stopping series like Orange is the New Black, Mind Hunter, and Stranger Things. But, there are some shows and films that range from disappointing to absolute torture. Maybe it’s because I was bored or maybe I’m just a masochist, but I decided to watch Big Mouth, an adult animated series about four 7th graders named Andrew, Nick, Jessi, and Jay dealing with puberty and sexual arousal. The only good thing that I can say about this show is that it’s relatable. However, it’s the animation, humor, and confusing plot that makes the show unbearable to watch.

1. The Animation

With their gem-like eyes, extremely long foreheads, and abnormally large mouths, Big Mouth is not visually appealing whatsoever. Trying to enjoy the show was difficult because their character design seems poor and lazy to me. This may sound like I’m exaggerating, but sometimes I would have to take breaks from watching the show simply because I found the animation to be uncomfortable to look at. There are other animated shows that have simple designs like Family Guy and South Park, but their design doesn’t take anything away, and instead adds more comedic value to the show.

2. The Plot

As I briefly mentioned above, Big Mouth is a coming-of-age story that deals with embarrassing and unavoidable moments that happen during puberty, through the eyes of the four main characters. It does have relatable moments which are not that bad, like getting your first period, first kisses, and first heartbreaks. But it’s the way that it’s executed that makes the show a huge disappointment for me. The episodes are loosely connected to one another since they seem to focus more on the mini-stories told in each individual episode than the overall story. The show is offensive, honest, edgy, and crude; things that I usually like to see in any film or TV show. But, there’s nothing smart about Big Mouth that makes the show stand out to me because the topic itself has been done before. Also, I already went through puberty, so why on Earth would I want to go through memory lane and think about my journey again?

Though I would say creating a physical manifestation of the characters hormones called ‘The Hormone Monster’ is quite interesting, I do think that the creators of the show should have done more in simplifying the rules of their show, especially when it comes to The Hormone Monster.

3. The Rules

This is an aspect about Big Mouth that I had issues with as I watched the first season. It seems like the creators had no clear idea of how their animated world is supposed to work. That may not be a big issue for some people, or maybe they simply didn’t notice the inconsistencies. My point is that World Building is extremely important when creating any new story because as an audience member, I need to able to believe and trust that their world makes sense.

And in Big Mouth, it doesn’t make any sense. For instance, Andrew is the only character at first to interact with The Hormone Monster, Maurice. Then out of nowhere, other characters bring him up in conversation, knowing his existence and sometimes even being able to interact with him. Then Jessi gets her own Hormone Monstress when she finally begins puberty, and the most nonsensical part is when Coach Steve’s own Hormone Monster appears. Coach Steve is an adult, why would he need The Hormone Monster? Also, there only seems to be three Hormone Monsters, so does that mean that they all watch over the children in the show? Nick, Andrew’s best friend, even had a meeting with The Hormone Monster to see if he qualified for puberty. Their other friend Jay masturbates to his pillow who out of nowhere becomes sentient and gets pregnant with his child. Ghosts exist, scallops and bathroom mats talk, what kind of world is this? These moments appear randomly only to quickly vanish with no explanation, which shouldn’t be happening in the first place.

Furthermore, the show also fails at making me believe that these characters are 13-year-olds when they all sound and talk like they’re in their 30 years. Only one character out of the entire show sounds like a kid, but it just stands out for all the wrong reasons. As a viewer, I should not have to think about the voice acting or try to make sense of how the world works because it’s not my job. There have been other absurd, animated shows that are just as if not more successful than Big Mouth, that paid attention in developing their world, like Rick and Morty, The Simpsons, and South Park. There’s no valid reason why Big Mouth didn’t do the same.

Courtesy: pixel.nymag

4. The Humor

Big Mouths humor is the main reason why people and critics seemed to love the show since they’re using children to say vulgar, offensive jokes as if it has never been done before on television (South Park). Even some of the jokes themselves don’t quite fit, especially when thinking about who their target audience is. There’s one episode that does two cutaways like in Seinfeld, but if the show is trying to appeal to 13-year-olds, they wouldn’t understand the reference in the first place since Seinfeld came out in the late 80s. There’s so much humor that only adults would understand that justifies my point that the show has no idea who they’re targeting.

Their use of breaking the fourth wall was another lazy example of writing, because what’s the point of trying to create refreshing jokes when it’s easier to be self-referential? I found the pacing to be too fast, making it almost impossible to enjoy a joke, and there were multiple times that I felt the show was being edgy just because they felt like it, which just made it absolutely miserable to finish.

I know I’ve brought up South Park a lot, but both shows use the same type of humor and both have very simple animation. The only difference is that South Park has a much stronger execution with similar topics that Big Mouth introduces in their show and they have a clear idea of who their target audience is. This doesn’t mean that Big Mouth isn’t allowed do the same since someone else already did it, but they should strive to be better in making their show stand out.

Overall, Big Mouth was a struggle to get through, unappealing, and bland. This isn’t a show I would recommend to anyone; you’re better off watching South Park if you’re into vulgar, offensive humor.

Hi, I'm Samantha Gonzalez. I'm currently an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. I aspire to one day work at a publishing house and edit manuscripts.
Her Campus at Florida State University.