Meet Garnet of the Garnet and Gold Guys

Unless you have been living under a rock here at Florida State University, you probably know who the famous Garnet and Gold Guys are. The fearless duo comes out to nearly every event, demonstrating their captivating and passionate spirit for FSU. I had the extraordinary honor of interviewing Garnet of the Garnet and Gold guys, and learned the incredible ins and outs of being a beloved celeb around campus.

Her Campus (HC): How did you become involved with becoming “Garnet” of the Garnet and Gold Guys?

Garnet (G): The position as a Garnet and Gold Guy is passed down as each one graduates. Last year, the Guys were both seniors, so they asked me and Gold to step in. The whole deal is run by the Baptists Collegiate Ministry at FSU, so we’re both involved there.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about being Garnet?

G: Getting to interact with a huge variety of fans is great. From the senior who finally gets their picture with us, to the alumni that are re-living their college days, and especially the kids. They’re always so amazed by the whole thing, and I really think it adds to the game day experience.

HC: What would you say is the best or most interesting memory you have ever had being Garnet?

G: This summer the Seminole Club of North Texas asked if Gold and I were interested in coming to the Oklahoma State vs FSU opener in Dallas. We thought it over for a total of zero seconds and before long we found ourselves on a plane for DFW! It was a blast, we met a ton of great people and got to take our piece of FSU tradition on the road. A place it doesn’t get to go often.

HC: What does being an icon of the Florida State University mean to you?

G: Being a part of the game day experience for so many people is awesome. I love having the chance to add to it and carry this FSU tradition for my time here. It’s such a special thing.

HC: Can you reveal the process behind becoming Garnet to Her Campus?

G: Most of the details are under lock-and-key as far as the processes go, but I can give you a few. We use about 2 pounds of glitter, per person, each time we paint. It’s all right on our skin, although a lot of people ask if it’s a suit. And the whole process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the day.

Make sure to follow the Garnet and Gold guys on social media to stay up to date with these campus celebs!

Instagram: http://instagram.com/garnetandgoldguys (@GarnetandGoldGuys)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GarnetGoldGuys (@GarnetGoldGuys)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thegarnetandgoldguys (/TheGarnetandGoldGuys)

Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores. Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores.
Her Campus at Florida State University.