Leela and Butterscotch: Hamsisters for Life

The love that we have for our pets is unmeasurable. Some people even go as far as saying that their pets are family. That is the case for this week’s featured Campus Cuties, Leela and Butterscotch.

Leela is a six-month-old Honey Bear Syrian hamster adopted from a Pet Supermarket in Tallahassee. She enjoys running on her wheel, taking her ball for a spin, and eating yogurt chips.

Butterscotch, who is a little bit older than Leela, is a Long-Haired Syrian hamster adopted from a PetSmart in Tampa. She enjoys ripping up tissues, burrowing in blankets, and eating peanut butter.

Her Campus (HC): How did you get your names?

Leela Van Lent (LVL): Well, my father Gerrit likes to watch Futurama, so he named my cousin betta fish, Bender after the rambunctious robot in the series. He followed this theme and named me after Leela the butt-kicking Cyclops. Sometimes he calls me HamBabe.

Butterscotch Mihokovich (BM): Mommy likes butter and alcohol, so it was not too hard to come up with my name. She usually calls me HamBam, but she will use my full name when I am in trouble (which is often).

HC: Many people think that once you know one hamster, you will know them all. What quirks do you have that make you different from each other?

LVL: I am terrified of heights. If you put me on your shoulder I will sit there until you take me down because I am too scared to get down by myself.

BM: If you put me on your shoulder, you just signed me up for skydiving. Look out below!

LVL: Also, I am super active. I will run on my wheel all night. And when I take a break from that, I rearrange my home about fifty times.

BM: I only use my wheel to store food. My favorite past time is snuggling up in my favorite pink blanket and watching Dexter and Breaking Bad with mommy.

HC: They say that good girls are only bad girls who have not gotten caught. Are you good or bad girls? Have you ever gotten in trouble?

LVL: One night dad made burgers a little on the well-done side and set off the fire alarm. I got so scared of the loud noise that I broke out of my home. I made everyone freak out and eventually they found me behind a lamp covered in spider webs. I am a good girl though I promise!

BM: I pulled one of mommy’s favorite towels into my home once while she was gone. Her towel that used to say “Take Me to the Beach” now has a big hole in it and says “Take me to the Beac.” I just like to chew and now my bed has fluffy pink towel pieces in it!

HC: What is your favorite hobby of all?

LVL: I feel indestructible in my ball. I can roll over people’s toes and crash through doors without feeling a thing!

BM: Girl, I totally agree. I like to terrorize my cat and dog cousins by ramming into them while I am in my ball. Bumper Balls is my favorite hobby of all!

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.