It’s Goin’ Down, I’m Yellin’ Tinder

(Disclaimer: I am in no way criticizing those who use Tinder in any way — these are all things I experienced first-hand when I used to have Tinder on my phone and it was too funny not to share. Please keep the word “satire” in mind when you read this article — I know of people who are in relationships from Tinder and I think that’s awesome.)

Tinder: if you haven’t been living under a rock, you would know it’s the hottest new dating app that lets you look through pictures of people “near you.” If you think they’re attractive in any way, swiping to the right indicates that you want to get to know them better — and if that person thinks you’re cute? Well, lucky you, you’re a match! If you want to make a long-lasting connection, though, read this to make sure you’re doing Tinder right.

Taglines: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Your tagline (basically a mini biography) can give us a little sneak peek into your personality that your pictures can’t show (I know you’d like to think your ripped abs do, but they don’t). Even if you’re only looking for a hookup, take the opportunity to at least sell yourself past your looks. After my small amount of time spent on Tinder, I came to the realization that the taglines most definitely gave me a little bit of an insight into what kind of guy I was dealing with — it was nice to see a few (keyword: few) good guys sprinkled in there every now and then. The others? Not so much.

In the “not so much” category, we have our first eligible bachelor. How can you say no to this breathtaking display of chivalry? He’s good with his hands, and he wants to keep it on the super down low (everyone knows the best relationships are ones that are kept secret, right?) Who could resist? He even gave out his Snapchat and Instagram usernames, so you know he’s really ready to meet a special someone.

So romantic. He’s definitely looking for someone to wife up.

Out of the tons of guys I swiped through, this was my favorite tagline I saw. It’s cute, funny, and charming. Who knows if the guy was any of those things in real life, but he was off to a good start with this one.

Your Profile Pictures

Tinder gives you the opportunity to upload up to five pictures to your profile through your Facebook. Regardless of whether you’re looking for a friend with benefits or a significant other, it would be a pretty obvious thing to choose pictures that “sell” yourself to the people checking you out. I stumbled upon a lot of boys who didn’t exactly follow this rule.

The “My Face Isn’t Important” Photo

It’s pretty much understood that when anyone takes a picture like this and posts it on a dating website; they have one thing in mind, and one thing only. With an empty tagline and no other way to know who this person could possibly be, I think it’s safe to say I swiped to the left almost immediately.

The “What the Hell is Even Going On” Photo

Are you trying to get you or your cat into the dating scene?

The Group Picture

If you’re looking to get to know someone via a dating app, why upload a picture of you and all of your friends and not a picture of just yourself? Are we playing Where’s Waldo?

The “Conversation”

Tinder also has the option to begin a conversation with someone through messaging after you’ve matched with them so you can get to “know” them better. After matching with a few people, I was approached by some potential suitors — which was always hilarious.

Awkward.

If you have Tinder downloaded on your phone right now, take the above examples and make sure you avoid (or do, it’s up to you) doing those things. Maybe you’ll find a new friend to hang out with or maybe you’ll strike gold and find the love of your life; in the online dating world, anything can happen.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.