Disney Princess In College: Why You Should Head Over To The Magic Kingdom This Summer

If you are a Disney princess staying in Florida for the summer, you might want to head over to The Walt Disney World Parks in Orlando, especially Magic Kingdom. You might say you’re too old to experience the same magic you did years ago when posed with Minnie in the sweltering summer heat while your parents took a million pictures with their Kodak cameras, but I am here to say you really aren’t! Who doesn’t want to vacation to the happiest place in the world? Or at least get the chance to either re-live their childhood, ride through nostalgia, and seriously devour those Mickey-shaped Klondike bars (It’s an addiction).  Some people spend years budgeting a trip to Disney, and have to fly all the way across the country, and you can get there in six hours (if you are driving from Tallahassee). I understand we are all worried about getting jobs, acquiring esteemed internships, or maybe just trying to put our lives together, but princesses in college need a break. So why not relax on our own home turf, Magic Kingdom?

If you do decide to go to this park, here are some recommendations on what princess attractions you need to visit!

Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid

This ride has been open for some time now, but if you haven’t checked it out, I’d consider doing so! This attraction takes you through the story we all know and love of The Little Mermaid, but instead, it’s with adorable animatronics. You also get to go through the whole adventure in a huge shell…who wouldn’t love that?  Since this ride is still fairly new, I would suggest getting a Fast Pass or just knocking it off your to-do list really early.

Be Our Guest Restaurant

Okay, definitely don’t try to eat here if you are on a strict princess college budget. Belle may have gotten free meals while being held captive, but you, my friends, will burn your wallets and your patience trying to get in here since the waiting lists are long. However, I do recommend visiting the restaurant just to see the inside! If you head over to Magic Kingdom early, there are special hours in which you can view the “Be Our Guest Restaurant” before lunchtime hits.  Honestly, just staring with your mouth agape looking up at the ceiling is enough attraction for anyone.

Also, if you want a cheaper meal but the same Belle experience, I suggest heading over to “Gaston’s Tavern.” Although the menu is not as broad as the fancy restaurant, you won’t be waiting forever and you can definitely taste some delicious “LeFou Brew” while you’re at it (Please, it’s delicious).

Meet A Princess (AKA Your Fellow Sisters)

How can you go to Magic Kingdom and not visit a princess?! Ariel in her Grotto? Jasmine in Adventureland? Cinderella in Fairytale Hall? You just can’t pass up these opportunities! Also, this summer Anna and Elsa from Frozen will finally grace our presences in Magic Kingdom near Fantasyland. I can already hear the sing-alongs and screams of joy now. You should meet these princesses because nine times out of ten they are just college princesses like you who are trying to work hard to do what they need to do (don’t be afraid to support them in their continuous journey to look fabulous AND get paid to smile for over twelve hours a day).

For most princesses, I would suggest either getting it done early in the day or at least getting a Fast Pass. For Anna and Elsa…save yourself some extreme frustration and get the Fast Pass first thing.

Wishes Nighttime Spectacular

Do you want magic to surge through your body? Do you want to be mesmerized by dazzling fireworks? Do you want to see a castle light up a trillion different colors while being narrated by some of your favorite Disney characters? Then do me a favor and stay for the “Wishes Nighttime Spectacular” show. I understand you are tired, possibly cranky, and you’ve seen enough Mickey-shaped objects to last you a lifetime, but just try to stick it out ‘til the very end because this show is worth it. You’ll feel like a true princess watching the fireworks blind your eyesight in front of Cinderella’s castle.

Bonus Event: Rock Your Disney Side (24 Hours)

From May 23rd at 6:00 AM to May 24th at 6:00 AM you can dress up as whatever you want and be in Magic Kingdom for 24 whole hours! You get to join Disney’s beloved heroes and villains in a grand celebration featuring select attractions, dining specials, and much more. Also, did I mention you can dress up as whatever you want?! You can be a pirate, a villain, or even…a princess! If you can, try to head over and kick off your summer the right way by attending the “Rock Your Disney Side” event at Magic Kingdom. This will truly test your princess limits (and possibly physical endurance), but it is something you should experience at least once in your life. 

Amanda is currently a Junior at Florida State University. She is double majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications and is oh-so excited about it. When she isn't trying to write poetry or read recommended books, Amanda finds herself on the internet doing absolutely nothing, or at any Mexican restaurant in Tallahassee munching on delicious salsa and chips. If you have any salsa that will blow her mind and taste buds, please let her know so that you can become life long friends. Amanda is not a cat person, but thoroughly enjoys cat memes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.