Corey Owens – Your Campus Cutie of the Week

Name: Corey Owens

Hometown: Coconut Creek, FL

Major: Computer Science (with an interest in making mobile apps tailored towards gay men)

Birthdate: 01/13/91

Relationship Status: Single

Graduation Date: May 2014

How do you like to spend your free time?

I enjoy playing video games, reading, table top games, painting small men and judo.

What is your Favorite Book?

Brave New World is without question my favorite book. I have an interest for dystopian novels, heck dystopian anything. 

What do you find attractive in a woman?

I look at women individually and wouldn’t really say I have a certain type; the only deal breaker for me is tattoos. I’m looking for someone with similar interests or life goals, but if I had to pick a type I suppose it would be a fashionable woman that wasn’t high maintenance. Does that woman even exist? 

What are some things you just can’t stand?

As soon as I hear some raspy voice going on and on about heartbreak and overcoming hard times while strumming lazily on his guitar, I’m out. I mean seriously just eject me from the car; I can’t stomach the sounds of country music. Which brings me to another dislike; it’s hard for me to accept when other people have poor taste in music. Those pop icons, forget about them! They aren’t real music; real music is the voice of Thom Yorke alongside Radiohead. If for some reason you haven’t listened to them I personally recommend Kid A.

Plans for after graduation:

I’m currently in the process of applying to a program called JET, where if accepted you are basically paid to teach English to Japanese children ranging from elementary school to high school age. They set you up in a Japanese town or city by finding you a place to live and providing you with Japanese language courses to help ease the transition. The free language courses are what drew me to the program in the first place. It’s been a personal goal of mine to learn how to fluently speak another language and this is my opportunity.

How have you prepared for teaching in Japan?

Last year, I completed a program and received a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. At the end of the program, you were assigned to teach a class filled with students how to read.  I’ve volunteered with the Big brothers Big Sisters organization for a couple years now, while also tutoring two Korean children in a variety of subjects. I also meet up with my Japanese conversation partner every week. I’m hoping my experience with children as well as my certification will either give me an edge or at least keep me on par with other candidates.

Do you prefer a certain age group?

I am pretty indifferent between teaching elementary school and high school, but I seriously dread middle school. The neat thing about Jet though is that normally you are assigned to a couple different schools or classrooms, so I will be exposed to all age groups.

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!