Campus Cutie Emily Lewis: Stepping Into a Dreamer’s World

Name: Emily Lewis

Year: Junior

Hometown: Boca Raton, Florida

Major: International Affairs & Leadership Certificate

Relationship Status: Taken

Her Campus (HC): What made you decide on attending FSU?

Emily Lewis (EL): Between UF and FSU, I preferred FSU because of the atmosphere, the campus and the social life. After visiting both it was an easy decision.

HC: Why did you choose Theta?

EL: Going through the rush process, I had some kind of idea about Greek Life, but had no idea about Theta. I left everyday wanting to go back, and being from South Florida I didn’t know anyone else in that sorority so it was comforting knowing that I could be surrounded by people that I didn’t know.

HC: Thinking back to freshman year, did you think you would become the president of your sorority one day?

EL: No, when I came into my chapter I didn’t even know what it meant to be president. As the years went on, I definitely could tell that it was on my radar as I began to get more involved.

HC: How has being President of Theta impacted you or changed you?

EL: It has made me much more responsible. It has also reallocated my time to investing it to every single person in my chapter. It has also led me to believe that change is possible and that our ideas are valid.

HC: You are such a free spirit and charismatic person, how do you maintain this mindset while taking on all of these responsibilities?

EL: Pray. A lot. I think it’s all about surrounding yourself with positive energy. You want the people around you to lift you up and not tear you down. So I always choose to create that positive energy. I guess I could be guilty of creating my own reality, but my reality rocks.

HC: What other clubs or organizations are you apart of?

EL: I split my time between a lot of things: President of Theta, Events Director of DWF [Diverse World Fashion], interned at City Church, interned with Project Life and I am currently still involved.

HC: Do you enjoy traveling?

EL: Of course, travelling to me means a fuller life. There’s this concept that repetition causes dissatisfaction. I think it’s really important to constantly have variety. Travelling also means exploring and learning new things.

HC: How did you get involved in your missionary work?

EL: My aunt and uncle are missionaries in Croatia. They were the catalyst to giving me an opportunity to go to another country and experience missionary work. It’s really cool to experience a new culture. After being apart of it, I couldn’t imagine my life without having experienced it.

HC: What’s an activity you enjoy doing to ease your mind?

EL: Dancing, for sure. I love to read and write. A lot of the stuff I write makes sense to me but to other people it could mean something completely different. Every single word I use has a meaning and is very specific to me, but another person could read it and take away a different message.

HC: What’s the number one thing on your bucket list?

EL: Oh man, happiness. I expect my whole life to be a continuous bucket list. I don’t want to confine myself to a bucket list because I want to be able to experience things I never thought I could. 

HC: The big 21 is coming up soon and I heard you’re having the trendiest waltz, what would you describe your style?

EL: Expressive of the mood I am in that day. I don’t think my style is confined to one category, its forever changing and evolving.

HC: Favorite clothing brand?

EL: My go-to’s are Free People, any department store I walk into and find something that catches my attention it always just so happens to be Free People. One of my favorite designers is BCBGMaxazria, because it’s a mix between conservative and out there. The same dress you would wear to a meeting you could dress it up and wear it to a gala.

HC: If you could travel back in time, which generation would like to experience?

EL: It’s so cliché but probably the 60s or the 70s. It’s the time period that is just out of reach because we were born too late but it’s close enough to being relatable.

HC: If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

EL: Jesus. The simple answer would be because he’s God, so that’s kind of cool; more in depth though, I would like to see Christianity at its purest form.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

EL: Johnny Depp, easy.

HC: Favorite place to go out in Tallahassee?

EL: My go-to would be chillin’ hard on Theta’s front lawn. Recently with friends we got lost on purpose and just outside the city we found an empty plantation and just watched the stars, so that’s probably one of the coolest places that I probably won’t be able to find again.

HC: Lastly, what is a quote/saying you live by?

EL: “A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” –Oscar Wilde

The quote is beautiful and particular to me because as a dreamer there is no punishment. There is always downfalls and different paths, but if you consider yourself a dreamer and always thinking towards something bigger, are your struggles really struggles?

Florida State Univeristy Retail Merchandising & Product Development MajorCommunications Minor
Her Campus at Florida State University.