5 Things to Do in Florida During Your “Winter” Break

Born and raised in SoFlo, I am very familiar with a holiday season that is the absolute opposite of the ideal “White Christmas.” I am used to tanning on our beloved holiday and needing to cool off with an iced hot chocolate. No matter what holiday you celebrate — whether it be Hanukah, Christmas, or Kwanza — we all think of our 3-week vacation from school as a “winter” break, even though temperatures in Fort Lauderdale can skyrocket to a sweltering 90 degrees.

If you’re a fan of the movie Elf and are stationed in the 305, you may be a tiny bit jealous of Buddy’s to-do list with his dad. Making snow angels and ice skating for two hours may not be possible in our tropical paradise, but I have some festive ideas that will keep you entertained and in the holiday spirit for the entire month of December!

1. Ice Skating Indoors

Even if you aren’t able to make it to Rockefeller Center in the Big Apple, most cities have indoor ice skating rinks that will give you the illusion that it is cold outside. Bring a thermos filled with hot apple cider and don’t forget your Uggs! (Are Uggs still a thing anymore?)

Courtesy: NYC & Company

2. Build Sandmen

I think I have only built one or two snowmen in my entire life, which is honestly sad. Why don’t we put a Florida spin on it and make sandmen?? Your Insta pic will make everyone up north hella jealous that they aren’t getting their tan on in December.

3. Make Gingerbread Houses

I have a tradition with friends of building gingerbread houses every year during the holidays, and it definitely gets us in the spirit, especially when we blast All I Want for Christmas by the one and only Mariah Carey; a Christmas necessity.

Courtesy: 30 Minute Dinner Party

4. Have a Christmas Watch Party

Invite some friends over and go out with a bang! Watch every best holiday movie: Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Polar Express, and we can’t forget Home Alone; make Christmas cookies and brew up some delish hot cocoa for a fun night.

5. Make Treats

Yes, going out every weekend night is really fun in its own way, but who doesn’t love spending a night in with the boys once in a while? Invite your homies over and get baking! Holiday goodies are the best; ranging from gingerbread men (or women) to these peppermint chocolate cookies.

Courtesy: Liv For Cake

Being from Florida during the winter holidays is not always a bad thing, even though a snowball fight does sound tempting. Nevertheless, don’t be stuck at home, bored as ever, get spirited! With these winter-themed activities, you’ll never want to go up north for the season. In fact, your northern friends will hate you for having so much winter fun without them. This time of year is meant for joy, especially since our finals will be over. Celebrate the end of the semester with some goodies, collegiettes!

As a rising senior at Florida State University, Jenna loves to play Ultimate Frisbee, write, run, read, edit and everything in between. She is a current Lifestyle intern at Her Campus in Boston and is currently discovering the city girl she never knew she was. She is so open to new people and experiences and is excited to see what the world has to offer. Also, dogs. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.