3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Freak out If You’re Graduating Without a Job

“Do you know what you’re going to do after you graduate?”

Ugh, that question again. For some, the answer is easy: “I’m going to grad school,” or, “I’m moving to NYC to work at a marketing firm,” but for others like me, the answer is not easy. In fact, the answer doesn’t exist exactly. So, to my fellow seniors, I’m here to tell you why it’s okay that you don’t have it all figured out just yet.

1. The Possibilities are Endless

If you don’t have a set plan, then that means you’re available for any and every opportunity that might come your way. Rather than limiting yourself to one city, one job, or one school, you have the world at your fingertips and you can make the most out of it.

2. You Have Time to Figure out Your Passion

Confucius once said,“Choose a job you love, and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.”  Many argue that that quote is misleading and inaccurate, and some even say it’s dangerous to think that you won’t have to work a day in your life if you love what you do. But it’s not about not working hard; it’s about loving what you do to the point that a 14-hour workday, or a Saturday shift, is welcomed because you love what you do that much. So, this career limbo that you might find yourself in should not be met with panic, but instead should be a time for you to find your passion. Do you love the outdoors? Do you love writing? Do you love helping people? Find your passion, and you’ll find that figuring out life post-grad isn’t all that hard.

3. You Can Focus on Senior Year

If you have a job lined up post-graduation or a plan to move to a new and exciting city, it could be distracting, but for those on the path of uncertainty, you can really focus your energy on school and all that senior year has to offer. Now that’s not to say you should be skipping class because you’re so hungover from going out four nights in a row; you should also be taking in what you’ve paid an arm and a leg for the past four years: school. Take this time to talk to professors about career choices, to intern your final semester, or to talk to the career center about different paths you could take after you walk across that stage.

Senior year is exciting. It’s nerve wrecking. It’s bittersweet. While you need to be proactive about your life post-graduation, don’t let it consume you. Take in these last months of football games, or hanging out with your girlfriends and of it being acceptable to go to a club on a Monday. Your life after turning that tassel will always be there, but being a student at Florida State won’t. So, enjoy it!

All GIFs are courtesy of Giphy. 

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.