3 Events in Tallahassee That Will Get You in the Holiday Mood

Elf Night

On Dec. 15th, 2016, the 16th annual Elf Night in Tallahassee will take place located at Dorothy B. Oven Park. The park will be transformed into a winter wonderland, with over 250,000 lights twinkling against the night sky and trees. Visitors are invited to take a stroll around the decorated park on Thursday from 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Note that the line to visit Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus will close 30 minutes earlier than the actual event. Elf night is free to the public, so stop by if you like. Perhaps the greatest gift of all, Santa’s little helpers will provide hot cocoa and cookies, while supplies last.

Location: Dorothy B. Oven Park 3205 Thomasville Rd. Tallahassee, FL 32308

Public parking is available next to the park at the Thomasville Road Baptist Church and across the street at the Piedmont Park Alliance Church.

Courtesy: Mark Wallheiser

Ice Skating at the Centre of Tallahassee

From Nov. 25, 2016 to Feb. 26 2017, visit the seasonal ice skating rink in the Centre of Tallahassee mall inside the Brickyard at the Pavilion next door to Dreamland BBQ. Last year, more than 11,000 people visited the ice rink, and this year mall officials are predicting about a 20 to 30 percent increase in attendance. You can go ice skating on Fridays from 4:00 p.m.  – 10:00 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. Sessions are set for 1 hour and 30 minutes and begin on even numbers. The price is $12.00 with skates and $7.00 with out skates. If you stop by to go skating you can also visit and take pictures with Santa from Nov. 25th – December 23rd on Thursdays – Saturdays at 12:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Sundays 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Location: The Pavilion at the Centre of Tallahassee

Courtesy: The Centre of Tallahassee Facebook

Polar Bear Express

From Saturday, Dec. 3rd, 2016 to Friday, Dec. 23rd, 2016, Veterans Memorial Railroad will be hosting Polar Bear Express Christmas event. Ride the Polar Bear Express to see holiday and winter scenes. Thousands of lights light up the way as you travel over a mile on Polar Bear Express. The event is from 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. On Dec. 8th, 15th and 16th the trains are non-steam. While, on Dec. 3rd, 9th, 10th, 17th, 22nd and 23rd you have the option of riding on a non-steam trains or a coal-fired stream train. The cost per person is $8.00 for non-steam trains and $12.00 per person for coal-fired steam train. Children ages two and under are free. To purchase tickets, you can visit https://veteransmemorialrailroad.thundertix.com/events/96725/performances

Location: Veternals Memorial Park

Courtesy: Verterans Memorial Railroad

Hello, I am Candida Pouchie. I am currently an Editing, Writing and Media major at The Florida State University. I aspire to one day pursue a career as a Television Personality or a Journalist. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.