Being Kind Shouldn’t be Something that People Need to be Reminded of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

The new Netflix series hit, “13 Reasons Why” premiering earlier this month has received a lot of social media attention. People are tweeting about the impact of the show and the portrayal of what bullying can do to someone, as well as why it’s so important to be kind to people. The sad thing is, that a lot of people need films and tv shows to remind them that bullying is wrong and that there can be serious consequences to one’s cruel actions.

Hannah Baker, the victim in the series, went through ordeals that some people may be able to relate to, including taunting, harassment, betrayal, the list goes on. It’s easy to watch the show and say, “I can’t imagine doing that someone” or “How can people be so cruel” but that sometimes isn’t something registered in someone’s head when they see someone that looks like an easy target. Some people don’t think of that person they are victimizing as victims, because its “just a joke” but words are like gum on a pavement, they stick around.

We are in times of progression and social growth, people are starting to stand up for themselves and becoming more comfortable in their bodies. However, there are still those who see the change in people as a new topic of cruel discussion and think of ways of they can harm that persons new self-being. Being kind isn’t something that you need to be reminded about, the first thought when seeing someone different shouldn’t be “Lets show that person why being who they are isn’t acceptable” it should be, “Lets support and help that person stay comfortable with who they are.” Nobody is entitled to judge whether or not someone deserves to be pushed down, the world has more problems to face than a girl having blue hair or kissing a guy with no intention of pursuing a relationship, or whether or not that guy has an Anime collection or is still a virgin at the age of 22. There is so many different people who inhibit this earth. Not everybody has the same story, there’s different type size and book covers to each our lives, if we decided to judge a book by its cover then we would miss out on amazing stories. We should be helping to add chapters not leaving cliff hangers. If this new series on Netflix had to reinforce the fact that being a nice person is essential than continue with that belief don’t wait for another series to emerge to make you become kind to people once again. Try to lessen the Hannah Baker’s in the world, the ones that feel as if there is only one dark option.