What To Expect From Special Olympics’ Spirit Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

In November 2015, Erin Biggins wanted to bring the Special Olympics community to Fordham. She started the Special Olympics Club at Fordham “in efforts of building friendships, supporting one another, and raising awareness for those with special needs.” The chapter is focused on two basic factors: athleticism and awareness. When describing what SO Fordham is about, Erin says, “We aspire to support all athletes of all abilities, both with compassion and money, so they can continue achieving their goals as incredible athletes. This community of individuals is full of love and SO Fordham wants to reciprocate this love as many ways as we can!”

Starting on Sunday, February 26th, SO Fordham will be kicking off their spirit week. The week starts with their Second Annual Red Out Fashion Show where Fordham’s athletes will walk the runway with NYC’s Special Olympic athletes. Along with food and music, SO Fordham will be raffling off items such as VIP Tickets to The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and an autographed picture of Nick Viall (The Bachelor). Tickets are currently on sale ($5) and will be sold at the door ($10). All proceeds go towards Special Olympics NYC. 

Erin and Special Olympics Athletes at Fordham’s First Annual Red Out

Continuing until March 3rd, SO Fordham’s Spirit Week will be coinciding with National Spread the Word to End the Word Pledge Day. On March 1st, people around the world will be pledging to not say the R-word. SO Fordham will be celebrating by giving members of the Fordham community the opportunity to pledge online, win cool swag, and share their pledge on social media. Bonus: There will be a Melt Bakery Food Truck on campus to celebrate the willingness to accept people of all abilities. Other events include Spirit Week Spin-a-Thon with Carmen and Red Thumps Up for Respect.

Erin is undoubtedly one of the most involved people on campus, and incredibly passionate about the things she spends her time on. Now that she’s going to graduate in May, we wonder what that means for the clubs she’s involved in with on campus, especially Special Olympics at Fordham. 

“I hope that the chapter I co-created and led the past two years becomes a successful organization both at Fordham and within the Special Olympics community. We are a very young club that has established a name for itself and started new friendships in the process. I hope that members of our club continue to stay active within this community and use their creativity to engage the Fordham Community in different ways to spread our initiatives of inclusivity, respect, athleticism, and friendship.”

(Make sure to check out SO Fordham’s Facebook page for more information.) 

Natalie is a senior at Fordham University where she is a Communications major, concentrating in Journalism. She's previously been a Public Relations Intern at Rent the Runway, a Features Editor at Seventeen Magazine, and an Editorial Intern at Dance Spirit Magazine. This semester, she has the opportunity to combine both of her passions, dance and journalism, as a Press Intern at the New York City Ballet. She continues to take class at the infamous, Broadway Dance Center as she hopes to enjoy her senior year to the fullest.