What To Do If You’re Staying In NYC For Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Not heading home for the holiday? No problem! There are plenty of activities going on in NYC that will keep you busy.

Let’s put the ‘Give’ in Thanksgiving!

Feeding NYC:

Interested in giving back to the community? Join Feeding NYC on November 24th to help prepare, package and deliver meals to more than 35,000 local families in need. Any and all help is appreciated; whether you want to sign up for packaging shifts or donate to the cause, there are many ways to get involved this holiday.

Where: Pier Sixty at Chelsea Piers, Pier 60, 23rd St. and West Side Highway, New York, NY 10011

When: Nov. 24th, 2015

For more info visit http://www.feedingnyc.org/

Rational Animal’s Mother’s Comfort Project:

If you’re an animal lover, this event is right up your alley. This nonprofit organization makes beds and toys to deliver to animal shelters throughout the New York area. On November 20th, from noon to 4 PM, the organization will be hosting a special event with the hopes of creating and dispersing more pet-friendly products for the holiday. 

Where: 303 Third Ave between 1st and Carroll Sts, Park Slope, Brooklyn

When: Nov. 20th, 2015  (12-4 PM)

Volunteer Contact:  R.S.V.P. to Maggie@rational-animal.org

Break a Sweat Before Digging in.

NYC’s Annual Pilgrim Pedal

This family-friendly 10-12 mile bicycle ride will get you ready for a delicious turkey dinner. Starting in Manhattan, riders will pedal through low-traffic streets and bike lanes to Brooklyn Pancake Diner where they will enjoy a hearty breakfast together. For those of you who are like me—living la vida broka!—you will be happy to know that breakfast is included in the cost of registration ($27).

Where: Starting point is 23rd St. and the East River, Manhattan

When: Nov. 26th, 2015 (8 AM)

For more info visit http://www.eventbrite.com/e/nyc-pilgrim-pedal-thanksgiving-morning-ride-for-pancakes-2015-registration-19100526188

Prospect Park Track Club Turkey Trot:

No need to count calories on Thanksgiving after completing this 5k. With more than 2,500 participants, the annual Turkey Trot is one of Brooklyn’s most popular races. Runners and walkers alike are welcome. The top three runners will each receive a homemade holiday pie! 

Where: Starting point is Center Drive near East Drive, Prospect Park, Brooklyn

When: Nov. 26th, 2015 (9 AM)

For more info and event registration visit http://pptc.org/category/turkey-trot/

Black. Friday.

Aéropostale:

10 lucky shoppers (and five friends) will receive free clothing for a year as part of Aéro’s “Coming Home” sweepstakes. The first 100 people in line on Black Friday will receive a game card for a chance to win. In addition, the entire store will offer 60 percent off of original prices and a gift with every purchase.

Where: Downtown Brooklyn

Price Range: $

Athleta:

If Black Friday shopping is not enough of a work out, Athleta is offering 20 percent off storewide. Remember, finals are right around the corner. Now is the time to stock up on exercise gear to wear to class to give your classmates the impression that you’re being fit when you actually refuse to put on real clothes. It’s okay, we’ve all been there.

Where: Upper West Side

Price Range: $ $

TopShop:

The British chain is offering 50 percent off on select items from both their fall and winter collection, including cozy cable knit beanies and outerwear.Note: Some of their accessories and jewelry serve as great stocking stuffers and secret Santa gifts.

Where: Midtown West

Price Range: $ $

Uniqlo:

This Japanese clothing chain has a wide assortment of cashmere coats and sweaters for very affordable prices. To kick off Black Friday, the company is taking $50 off of everything and hats and scarves will be priced at $1 each. Yes, $1!

Where: Soho

Price Range: $

‘Tis the Season to be Festive!

The Parade, of course:

With over 3.5 million spectators lining up on the sidewalks of Manhattan, and another 50 million watching by way of NBC broadcasting, the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is a famous holiday tradition. Join Macy’s and the rest of New York this Thanksgiving in celebrating the parade’s 89th year. On November 25th, the day before the parade, people from all over gather to watch the massive balloons come to life. Take advantage of Fordham’s New York location and see the magic for yourself!

Where/When: Parade— Stepping off from 77th Street and Central Park West, the Macy’s Parade will march down to Columbus Circle, where it will turn onto Central Park South, before making its way straight down midtown Manhattan on 6th Avenue from 59th to 34th Streets (9 AM).Balloon Inflation—Between 77th & 81st St. between Central Park West & Columbus Ave. (3-10pm).

For more info visit http://social.macys.com/parade/#home

The Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park:

The 17,000-square-foot outdoor rink at Bryant Park is the perfect place to show off your moves on the ice! To avoid the crowds, try visiting during off-peak hours throughout the week and remember to bring your own skates. Afterwards, check out some of the eateries set up around the rink, including Marty V’s Burger and Super Mac + Cheez. With more than 120 vendors, featuring newly added boutiques, this enchanting winter village is the perfect place to get some holiday shopping done. It’s important to note that, while the ice skating rink is open through March 6, the kiosks will only be set up until January 3rd. You don’t want to miss this midtown holiday tradition!

Where: Bryant Park, 41st St. and 5th Ave, Midtown Manhaattan

When: Now—Jan. 3rd, 2016 

In her third year at Fordham University, Emily Belmonte is a Communications and Media Studies major with a concentration in New Media. Originally from Long Island, a short train-ride away from bustling Manhattan, Emily is no stranger to the “city that never sleeps”. In her free time, she enjoys dabbling in film photography and writing. As a Her Campus contributor, Emily hopes to convey her passions for both writing and journalism to her readers.