Skincare: Save or Splurge?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

With summer coming to a close, the temperatures will begin to drop and our cherished tans will fade away. With the end of summer also comes the end of UV rays and salt water; two things our skin loves. So what is a college girl to do when she gets zits and dry skin? Here are some solutions, from a bit of a price to a bargain:

SAVE! The Quick Zit Fix

Noxzema Ultimate Clear Anti-Blemish Pads, $3.99, target.com.

These cleansing pads are absolutely amazing. They are made with salicylic acid and are easy to use. The pads are textured so the skin feels exfoliated and the pads also absorb dirt on the skin’s surface. The smell is rather strong, (avoid applying them close to the eye area) but after a few uses you won’t notice it as much. With these pads, you can clean your face in as little as five seconds, giving it a quick removal of dirt and an application of strong acne-fighting medicine. The best thing about these pads is that they don’t dry your skin out, so if you have a bad case of acne, using them two or three times a day won’t hurt! The packaging isn’t too bulky either, so they’ll fit in your purse or backpack if you’re on the go.

SPLURGE! Freshen Up

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, $38, sephora.com.

Remove your makeup, clean all of the dirt off your skin, and prevent over-drying by using this amazing cleanser. The smell is not ideal, but after a few washes you’ll be used to it. This cleanser has soy proteins and amino acids as well as cucumber extract and borage seed oil. After using this product the skin feels even and toned, without being dried out. If you’re hesitant about the product or the price, try out the 1.7oz size and if you’re satisfied, splurge for the full 5.1oz size!

SAVE! SOS for Moisture

Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream [Dry Skin], $7.99, ulta.com.

This cream is as lovely as it smells! Scented with fruit extracts, this soft, non-greasy cream applies easily to the skin without irritating it. This cream is extremely cooling and a little goes a long way. Your dry skin will come back to life and will feel more refreshed than ever!  

SPLURGE! Vitamin C, Please!

Ole Henriksen Truth Crème Vitamin C Advanced Hydration, $45, sephora.com.

If you love the smell of citrus fruits, then you will become instantly obsessed with Ole Henriksen’s signature citrus orange smell! This cream goes above and beyond hydrating the skin. If you are looking to even out your skin tone or if you just simply desire a glowing, radiant look, this is the cream for you.  Plus, this product is formulated without sulfates, parabens, and phthalates! The vitamin C in this product is key for brightening the skin and boosting collagen. Give your skin an upgrade, earn some Sephora beauty insider points, and pick up this unbelievable product! 

Photos Courtesy Noxzema, Fresh, Garnier, Ole Henriksen