My Roommate’s Dilemma: We’re On Again-Off-Again #Always

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

So you’re on-again, off-again all the time? My roommate’s been there and done that and I’ve got some advice for you. 

The reason you’re on and off so much is because you’re both not sure where you stand. In the early stages of a relationship it’s pretty easy to get scared and run off, so anything new or different that isn’t what you expected could spark an on-off series. You want to avoid this, because it’s incredibly annoying.

There are two things you need to do, and one includes figuring out what exactly the two of you are. Are you a couple or are you just friends with benefits? Are you even friends? Maybe this is just benefits? Before you even get here, you need to define the relationship; and not with him. Define the relationship yourself. What do you want? What are your intentions and what are you looking for? Do you want him to be your boyfriend or do you want to just have fun?

Before you can figure things out with him you have to be sure of what you want for yourself, so take your time when thinking about this. Also, if you decide you want it to be something more, stop getting scared off by little things. Easier said than done, I know, but it’s feasible. 

And finally, “don’t hate the player, hate the game.” Thanks Laguna Beach. 

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.