How to DIY your Holiday Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

The holidays bring laughter and joy, but not when you have to live on Ramen until Easter just to afford presents for friends and family.

This year, instead of stressing out about whether you will have enough green to get the “perfect gift” try doing-it-yourself, or DIY. Creating your own presents shows your inner circle that you care a lot more than giving a box soap set would and personalizes the gifts for each individual. No matter what you decide to DIY or how it turns out, everyone is sure to love the “from-the-heart” creations because they were made by you.

Fleece-Tie Blanket

Total time: 2 hours

Total Price: under $20

This adorable present is sure to keep the ones that you love nice and warm on chilly winter nights. All you need is two pieces of fleece fabric cut into seven-foot sheets, that can be bought at any sewing store, and plain old scissors. The key is to buy fleece with fun patterns that truly give the blanket a personalized feel. If your best friend is obsessed with zebra stripes and pink, be sure to find a store that sells that type of fabric. To start, lay the two pieces flat on the floor and line up the edges. After, cut two-inch slits all around the outside of the fleece, making sure the slits are less than one-inch apart from each other. Lastly, simply tie the slits from the opposing sides of the blanket together to create a super-warm creation.

Fabric Cork Board

Total Time: 1 ½ hours

Total Price: $15

This super simple idea makes a dull corkboard into a fabulous piece of artwork that younger siblings or friends will love to display on their walls. Start out by purchasing a small board, two feet of any fabric, ribbon and plain tacks. Glue the fabric over the front of the board so that there are no wrinkles and the fabric is secure. Next, glue the ribbon across the board to create a crisscross pattern. At each intersection of the ribbons, place a tack to make sure the ribbon is secure.  After the base is made, put pictures, tickets or special mementos on the board to give a gift no one will forget.

Personalized Frame

Total Time: 1 hour

Total Price: $2 to $10 (depending on the frame)

People get boring frames all the time, but few receive ones made just for them. To start, buy an eclectic frame that has a lot of white space around the outside and magic marker, colored pencils and glitter to decorate. Start by removing the white paper on the outside of the frame that everyone usually throws away; this will serve as your canvas. Draw special quotes, doodles or meaningful inside jokes that you have with the giftee. After your decoration is dry, place the white sheet back into the frame. To finish the present off, put a picture of you with the gift receiver and wait for that ohmygosh-this-is-amazing face when the present is opened on Christmas morning.

Mug and Hot Cocoa

Total Time: 30 minutes

Total Price: under $10

No one can say no to a steaming cup of hot chocolate during Christmas time, especially when it comes gift-wrapped. This is a perfect present for a boss, family friend or someone you do not really know that well.  Buy a cute holiday mug, some mini marshmallows, a fancy hot chocolate packet (Godiva and Ghirardelli make great single packs) and a candy cane. Put all of the ingredients into the mug and wrap it with colored wrapping foil.