The Horror of Harvey Weinstein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

“I’m not doing okay, but I’m trying…I’ve gotta get help.” 

That’s what Harvey Weinstein said after he was busted for multiple allegations of sexual harassment and assault. If he isn’t doing okay, I wonder how the dozens of women he has harassed and potentially assaulted feel.

The New York Times released a piece on October 5th, 2017 titled “Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades” that sparked a whirlwind of testimonies from victims throughout Hollywood. Weinstein probably thought he had gotten away scot free after decades of keeping his victims quiet; intimidating them with his royal status in Hollywood and his giant bank account. This work of journalism blew the minds of society and pushed a rebellion into action. 

Embedded in the Times article was Ashley Judd’s account of sexual harassment and her internal turmoil over how she could escape Weinstein without ruining her career in acting. She exposed the terror many women felt and the ultimatum they gave themselves: deal with this horror and continue working in Hollywood or try to expose Weinstein for the sexual predator that he was and be potentially exiled from the industry? She told the Times  “Women have been talking about Harvey amongst ourselves for a long time, and it’s simply beyond time to have the conversation publicly,” Judd said, according to the Times.”

Judd knew it was time and so did dozens of other women who couldn’t keep their stories to themselves anymore. Weinstein’s list of accusers has grown to over 40 women, several of whom shared the same exact story: a hotel room, Harvey Weinstein in a bathrobe, offers of alcohol, requests for massages, sexual advances.

All of these women who shared their accounts of sexual harassment including Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and most recently, Lupita Nyong’o, have explained that their blooming careers were at a very critical time and Weinstein held that directly over their heads. In an op-ed for The New York Times Nyong’o said she was advised by multiple people, fellow producers included, to “keep Harvey…the most powerful producer in Hollywood… in [her] corner.” She knew she had to put her career first, so she was introduced to him and the harassment started from there. She mentioned his ability to turn on the charm when he wanted something and how he strategically hid any potential witnesses whenever he made any advances. When Nyong’o rejected his harassment multiple times, he threatened her, ultimately saying that if she wanted to make it in this industry, she better get comfortable with the idea of “dating” him. Again, she refused, and he told her “then we are done here.” When she asked if they were okay (as in, her brand new reputation in Hollywood), he said “I don’t know about your career, but you’ll be fine.”

Nyong’o’s chilling story – forced alcohol, massages in a bedroom with a half naked Harvey Weinstein included – was reflective of so many women and the need for justice in this case continues to grow every day. 

So what happens to Harvey now? 

He is at rehab for sex addiction currently in Arizona, but is not taking it seriously whatsoever, like really not even pretending to care. He’s taking calls on a phone he’s not supposed to have, he’s falling asleep during therapy sessions, not giving a damn about the other people taking their rehabilitation seriously. Really, a class act who is trying to clean up his image, obviously.

He has been stripped of his position at his own company, multiple film institutes have removed him from their membership, he has been removed from the TV Academy, the list goes on. In addition, city law enforcements are now allowed to get involved because women have started reporting harassment in New York and Los Angeles. Not only has Weinstein’s credibility and career entirely fallen apart, a criminal record is looming in his future. 

Let us not forget, while Weinstein is getting what he deserves and hopefully more and more punishment in the near future, there must be so many more Harvey Weinsteins. We must be aware of that and help victims of this type of harassment in any way that we possibly can. As Priyanka Chopra said, “The easiest thing to take away from a woman is her work. Especially in our business if she doesn’t compromise in whatever way whether it’s sexually or stroking someone’s ego or networking, she’s always threatened that she won’t get that movie… Or this ‘big boys club’ will get together and boycott her. And that’s such an isolating feeling which is why it’s so incredible to see so many women come together and say you’re not alone – me too.”

Lauren is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a degree in Journalism and Political Science. With a career goal of being a broadcast journalist, she is spending time interning at networks such as NBC and FOX. Hobbies include writing for Her Campus and singing in Fordham's all-female a cappella group, the Satin Dolls, as well as drinking too much coffee, listening to far too many boy bands, and watching Buzzfeed Tasty videos one after another.