First Month Of Freshman Year: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Coming into college, I was armed with limitless expectations for what I was about to get myself into. There were so many things I had pictured for months, and my fantasized idea of college was nothing less than Hollywood. Upon move-in, I slowly realized college is nothing like the movies, and I have compiled a list of gifs that fully express what certain aspects of this first month have really been like. (Image)

(credit

1. First things first: the club fair – the elusive club fair that every single college tour guide told us was crucial to entrance into college life. When thinking about the club fair, I pictured something fun and happy and exciting!!! YAS COLLEGE! 

(credit)

(credit)

BUT when I showed up only to see all of the clubs and the entire freshman class crammed onto the sidewalks around Eddies I was all

(Billboard.com)

Then I carried on anyways because free cookies 

(credit

2. Next up: Early Classes– going into it, it was all, “Oh, 8:30 classes five days a week? Not bad. I got up earlier than that in high school!!”

(credit)

By the second week of class though, hearing the alarm go off has you like 

(credit)

and then to top it off, all of your classes are in FMH … ALL THE WAY ACROSS CAMPUS 

(credit)

3. The Social Scene aka the most hyped up thing about college EVER… 

Steppin out on the scene first weekend on campus all like 

(credit)

You know, ready to hit some ragers, #TURNT 

(credit)

BUT THEN you hear that the real party is at a mystical place called *TINKER’S* and you’re like 

(credit)

Then you get there, and you’re all 

(credit)

Aaaand then you go back (multiple times) because #SoCollege

(credit)

4. Friends – One of the things myself and many others were most nervous about going into college – establishing a group of friends to take on campus with.  

*sidenote* couldn’t find a gif for this one but let’s be real, Blair Waldorf is obviously too good for gif form (credit

The first week is a total scramble to meet as many people and forget as many names as possible, in order to try to establish some friendships. After that though, when you meet someone and share common interests you’re standing there like 

(credit)

And then you take a million pictures with all your new friends just to prove to everyone back home that you are a totally cool, social, college girl

(NBC

5. Communal Bathrooms – a true gem of the college experience

(credit)

For this one, there is no change in expectation and reality. Communal bathrooms are straight up everything I’d ever expected them to be… awkward, hair-covered, and no where near as great as the bathroom at home. It honestly can’t get worse than being in a bathroom with someone you kind of know, kind of don’t; and you’re trapped there together, brushing your teeth next to each other waiting to see who will be done first. 

(credit

(vine

On the flipside though, going into the bathroom and seeing one of your favorite floormates at the sink turns into a big reunion.

(CW)

6. Food… Let’s be real, we all know it’s awful. There is no way any of us could’ve been prepared for how bad it is, or how badly we all want to go home to eat real food just for one day #:( Before knowing what Sodexo food tastes like, I imagined college being a place of endless options and delicious food. 

(credit

But the first dinner really set the tone for every meal to come, and still rings true to this day. 

(ET)

(credit

7. Roommates –  Yet another super hyped up thing about college life, the idea of sharing a generally tiny room with a complete stranger… TERRIFYING. 

Coming into it, whether you went random or chose someone, the expectation is basically that you and your roomie are gonna be BFFs, right? 

(HBO

(CW)

Not necessarily the case though. If it worked out that way, rad – if it didn’t, keep rockin, it’ll be fine. The basic thing that I’ve learned in this past month though is that a roommate sees all, and there is nowhere to hide. 

(Fox

8. Arguably the most important part of college, studying. Starting off, I didn’t think it would be that different from high school, I mean it’s all studying.. right? Totally had the “It shouldn’t be too hard” mentality… 

(TLC

Walked into the first class like 

(credit

But then once class started, all cockiness went out the window

(credit

Studying for the first test was nothing like you’ve ever experienced before 

(credit

Getting the grade back was another experience all in itself.. good or bad. 

(credit

And so the cycle goes…

(credit)

*KIDDING* we are only a month in we can’t give up on our GPA just yet!!! (maybe next month…?) 

(credit

That about covers every aspect of life at Fordham that I’ve experienced in this past month, so just as a few more words to the Class of 2018… 

REMEMBER: 

(credit

because !!!

(credit

we’re only getting started

(credit

(credit)

Here’s to the rest of the year!

(credit)  

(credit

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.