Dear Betty: Reconnecting with Friends Who Went Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Dear Betty,

One of my friends studied abroad last semester, and now that she’s come back, it seems like she’s been awkwardly avoiding me. It feels like so much has happened since she’s been gone that she isn’t really a part of my life anymore, and vice versa. Do you have any advice on how to patch up our lapsed friendship?

Sincerely, Friendship Gone Abroad

Dear Gone Abroad,

Being in the process of losing a close friend is always extremely difficult.  For some, going abroad is a way in which they can change who they are for the better or worst, kind of like what people do when they come to college in general.  It seems that for your friend, going abroad was a time in which he/she changed his/her persona on things.  It sucks that he/she just ignores you and is not a part of your life anymore.  You can try and talk to him/her about these changes that you have seen and how unhappy you are not having them as a friend. Unfortunately, I do not know how well this will work out cause it seems as if your friend already has his/her mind made up.  Just remember that if they truly were your friend, they would not be ignoring you.  Think about how important this friendship is for you.  

Love, Betty 

Have a question for Betty? Fill out the form below and she might answer your question in her next article!

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.