Dear Betty: My Roommate is Being Obnoxious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Dear Betty,

My roommate goes to bed at awkward times such as very early in the evening and turns the light off. She hides under the covers and pretends to sleep but in reality she’s texting. This forces me and my other roommate sneak around the room quietly to accommodate her “sleep” needs. How do I fix this situation? I don’t want to be rude and tell her she can’t sleep, but I don’t want to be obnoxious and turn the lights and go about as if she wasn’t there.

Sincerely, Frustrated Freshman

Dear Frustrated,

With this situation I think it would be necessary to talk to your roommate. Be nice about it but bring up that she is clearly texting under the covers and if it would be possible to still keep the lights on while she is texting. It’s very inconvenient for you to have a roommate who goes to sleep early and is not actually sleeping. Talking to her is the best option, but if you feel uncomfortable just talk to your RA and he/she might be able to mediate the conversation that you have. Best of luck!

Love, Betty

Have a question for Betty?
Fill out the form below and she might answer your question in her next article!

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.