7 Cheap Ways to Make Spring Break in NYC Memorable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

With midterms finally reaching a close this week and the hope of Spring break eagerly approaching, I am sure many of you collegiette’s are packing your bikinis, suntan lotion, and towels for the beaches of much warmer climates, while others might excited for reunions with friends and family from back home.  But what about you collegiette’s staying on campus for break?

You might be bummed if certain plans didn’t follow through.  Maybe you plan to just sleep the entire time. You might have even convinced yourself that you will spend the week catching up on all the reading you didn’t do the first two months of classes. Instead of casting off this Spring break as a bust, look at it as an opportunity to take advantage of NYC. Sometimes during the academic term we are too busy with classes, internships, extracurriculars, etc. to explore one of the most diverse and colorful cities in the world! I have compiled a list of some cheap and unforgettable ways to spend your break here in the Big Apple.

1. Museums– Remember when you decided to go to college in New York City and you told yourself it would be an incredible opportunity to culture yourself? That you would have countless museums to visit at your disposal? But how many times have you actually visited the vast number of museums that exist throughout the five boroughs? No, that visit to the MoMA for your Art History class does not count.
So, look at this class-free week as an opportunity to culture yourself at the museum or museums of your choice. Many museums such as the Met, MoMA, and Museum of Natural History offer certain deals. Many have “suggested donations,” either everyday or on certain days of the week. Other museums, such as the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, are ALWAYS FREE. You can find a list of ALL the free museums in New York, as well as the specific times that other museums are “suggested donation,” at http://www.ny.com/museums/free.html.

2. Comedy Shows– Who doesn’t need a good laugh, especially when you can get that laugh for free? A lot of comedy groups throughout the city, such as the Upright Citizens Brigade, do comedy shows for under $10 and often do shows for free!  However, make sure you check beforehand for a drink minimum; some places advertise as free, but require you to buy a few drinks during the show.

3. Concert/ Jazz Show- Spring Break is the perfect time to check out some local bands or performances. Many smaller clubs and venues, such as the Fat Cat Jazz Club, offer admission for under $5, while other bands often do free concerts at these venues or city parks. You can find a list of venues, concerts, and prices at http://www.ny.com/music.

4. St. Patrick’s Day Parade- Once again, Spring Break lands during the week of St. Patrick’s Day. So put on your green and head to 5th Avenue to watch the 250th annual parade.  It draws a crowd of over three million people and includes over 300,000 marchers. Maybe you will even find a cute new Irish boy to celebrate with.

5. Take a Class– Try something new! There are free classes offered all over the city for a variety of activities, including yoga, self-defense, boating classes, introductory ballroom dancing, and comedy. You can visit sites such as http://newyork.timeout.com/things-to-do/this-week-in-new-york/, which have a list of free classes being offered throughout the city each week.

6. Celeb Stalking- Always wanted to track down your favorite celebrities or try to find a television show or movie filming around the city? Now is the perfect time! Many sites list the locations of film shootings throughout the five boroughs, including http://www.celebritytweet.com/, which helps you to find where specific celebrities are making appearances, shopping, or having their morning Starbucks.

7. Movie Marathon- After an active week in the city, you are sure to need a day to relax in a comfy pair of sweats, lie in bed with a bowl of popcorn, and watch movie after endless movie.  And there is a free easy way to do this, even if you don’t have Netflix. The Fordham library has hundreds of movies that you can check out just like any book. And no, they don’t just have historical movies and documentaries.  You can view all the library’s movies, including The Social Network, Inception, Toy Story 3, and Sex in the City 2, its online catalog at http://lib-sirsi01.library.fordham.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi/x/x/0/49/.

These are just a few ideas to get you started.  The websites I listed all have a variety of information about what is going on in the city, so be adventurous! Does anyone else know of any hidden cheap ways to have a good time this break in NYC? If so, comment and let HC Fordham know!

Emily attended Fordham University and majored in Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in journalism and a minor in Political Science. A wicked Massachusetts girl at heart who loves writing, shopping, and spending time with loved ones. Emily is constantly looking for new adventures and finds herself eternally wanderlust.  
Katie is a junior Communication and Media Studies major at Fordham University. Despite going to school in the Bronx, she is a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised in Cedar Grove, NJ. Since the sixth grade, communications has been her passion and main pursuit. She is actively involved in her school's television station and currently anchors the Fordham Nightly News. As a proud Italian-American, she also serves as a National Youth Co-Chair for UNICO, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S., and is a two-time scholarship recipient and member of New York Women in Communications. Katie is currently a Digital Media intern at Ralph Lauren. Some of her favorite things are the Jersey Shore (the place, not the TV show), anything chocolate, and the sales racks at Bloomingdales. She is obsessed with Glee, Rob Thomas, and Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. After graduation, Katie plans on pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or public relations.