6 Truths About Syllabus Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Syllabus week, or the very first week back at school since a wonderfully long break, is usually a relatively simple week of schooling. Or, so we think. Regardless of if you’re returning from summer break or winter break, you’re diving head first into another “first day of school.” There is a lot of excitement involved as well as nerves when it comes to getting in the right mindset for learning again. The image in everyone’s heads of this week may not be exactly like reality, however.  Images such as:

1. Getting released from class early.

Expectation: You think that because you’re simply going to class to hear your professor explain the course and expectations, that they won’t keep you for very long. 

credit

Reality: Sorry! Your professor is most likely ready to get down to business which means you’re in class for the long haul…70 minutes now seems like the rest of your life once you’ve finished going over your syllabus and you’re moving on to some way too serious reading.

credit

2. Walking into a class full of familiar faces.

Expectation: You open the door to your classroom and see lots of friendly and familiar faces and enjoy class together.

credit

Reality: Actually, you open the incredibly squeaky door and are greeted with the glares of everyone who managed to beat you to class as they watch you freak out while trying to figure out where to sit.

credit

3. Easily being able to make new friends with the people in your class.

Expectation: While you’re locked out of the classroom before class starts, you are super excited to bond with your new classmates. 

credit

Reality: everyone is really staring at their phones hoping that they won’t have to be the ones to break the awkward “yeah, hi, nice to meet you” ice. Then once the door opens it’s a mad dash to claim a seat. Move out of the way, or you might get hurt. 

credit

4. You meet the love of your life in class.

Expectation: You scope out the cute people in your classroom thinking about how amazing it would be if you happened to stumble upon the person who could be the Prince William to your Kate Middleton.

credit

Reality: Instead, you actually make eye contact with the most beautiful boy you’ve ever seen and do one of those really ugly sneezes and spill your water on your desk, and then turn back around to face the board and never look back.

credit

5. You’re going to dress to impress your new classmates and professor. 

Expectation: Everyone tries to go all out and look like a queen on their first day and make the ultimate first impression. 

credit

Reality: After trying on seven different outfits and trying countless times to work with your poor excuse of a cute hairstyle, the sweatshirt and yoga pants come out…it happens.

credit

6. You’re going to participate and blow your professor away with your enthusiasm.

Expectation: You raise your hand and give your best input in class and your professor is just LOVING you. 

credit

Reality: After about five minutes of introductions and going over the basic principles of the course, you’re trying your hardest to hide behind the kid in front of you but for some reason, your professor can always find you. 

credit

Best of luck with your syllabus week and the rest of your semester! 

Lauren is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a degree in Journalism and Political Science. With a career goal of being a broadcast journalist, she is spending time interning at networks such as NBC and FOX. Hobbies include writing for Her Campus and singing in Fordham's all-female a cappella group, the Satin Dolls, as well as drinking too much coffee, listening to far too many boy bands, and watching Buzzfeed Tasty videos one after another.