FAMU Names 11th President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

TALLAHASSEE-Fla.—Florida A&M’s (FAMU) board of trustee appointed Dr. Elmira Mangum as the institution’s 11th president in early January.

The university’s Board of Trustees voted 10 to 2 in favor of Dr. Elmira Mangum.

Dr. Mangum acquired her bachelor’s at North Carolina Central University, a master’s in urban and regional planning at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, another master’s in public policy and public administration at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and her Ph. D in educational leadership and policy.

Prior to the board of trustees vote, Mangum served as a provost at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and the University of Buffalo.

Mangum will succeed Dr. James H. Ammons who served as president of the university for five years. Ammons resigned after parents of Robert Champion, a student drum major filed a lawsuit after their son’s hazing death.

Students are excited to see what Dr. Mangum will add to the legacy of presidents that FAMU has had.

“I’m excited that a female president will lead us, it shows the university is evolving and it serves as inspiration to women like me that we can do anything,” said Kiana Bryant, a FAMU student.

Mangum recently signed her contract. IN the contract she requested a vehicle for her own personal use, her post-president salary as a tenured professor, and her requested salary of $425,000.

Public relations scholar at Florida A&M