Author Shares History About Black College Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Samuel G. Freedman, author of “Breaking the Line” a book about the history and significance of black college football, has taken his book on tour.  The book specifically highlights the historic 1967 black football championship led by FAMU’s Jake Gaither and Grambling State University’s Eddie Robinson.

For months, Freedman has traveled the country leading forums and discussions about the historical impact of black college football coaches and players during the 1960’s.

“I’m honored that I can have discussions about the legacy of HBCU football with such extraordinary people,” said Freedman.

Eddie Jackson, sports historian, vividly shared his recollection of quotes, article headings and commentary that focused on FAMU’s football program. His extensive work is featured in the book and will help to ensure that the efforts of coaches and players during the Civil Rights era won’t go unnoticed.

“In the history of black college football we haven’t had a book written by someone of Mr. Freedman’s caliber,” he said. “The book really captures the impact of black college football and it’s going to make a difference in the way that people will start to understand what black college football means to this country.”

One major focus of “Breaking the Line” was the 1969 football game against FAMU and The University of Tampa. The first interracial football game played in the south would be marked by a 34-28 victory for the FAMU football team.  Jackson recalled seeing raised fists throughout the stadium after the game. Such a win became a milestone for black football programs across the nation and would prove to be the highlight of Jake Gaither’s coaching career.

Freedman has taken this discussion to several universities including: The University of Florida, Florida A&M University, Michigan State University, The University of Texas and Florida State University.

FAMU Interim President, Larry Robinson, hopes that these forum’s will continue to remind the nation of its history and that HBCU football programs will always be remembered for their important contributions.

“I think these discussions are a collective remembrance of the great period in this nation’s history that defined the transition to a new era,” he said. “This period was monumental in the world of sports but also helped to propel critical issues to the forefront of this country’s attention.”

Samuel G. Freedman is a former New York Times columnist and journalism professor at Columbia University.  “Breaking the Line” is available at www.amazon.com