6 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

With natural hair tutorials all over YouTube and natural hair tips all over the web, there are still things natural hair women do not know.  There is so much information on natural hair care that one can never know too much. Here are some things that one may not know about their natural hair.

1. It is one of a kind.

Every naturalista can attest to this, their hair is like no one else’s. Some hair does not grow in a defined curl or pattern.  You may go natural hoping that your hair will be full of luscious curls but every girl’s curl patter is different.  You can achieve the perfect curl with flexi rods or curlers.

Hair with a mind of its own is nothing new to Morgan Cyrus.

“My hair is really soft and not that thick,” said Morgan Cyrus from Gainesville, Fla. “So when I am trying to do all those natural styles they just don’t work on me.”

2. It’s not always as healthy as it looks.

Natural hair isn’t always healthy.  In a lot of ways, your natural hair can be weaker than your premed hair.  Natural hair requires a lot more moisture and attention and  needs more time to untangle.

Milonda Houston knows what it means to have unhealthy hair.

“Before I went natural my hair was never as thirsty and dry as it is now,” says Milonda Houston from Florida.  I have to make sure that I moisturize my hair daily.”   

3. Protective styles are a girl’s best friend.

Protective style are great for breakage prevention.  Some go-to protective styles are buns, braids, weaves, or twists.  But, be careful! If the styles are braided too tight or not done correctly, it can cause permanent hair loss.  Also when transitioning be careful at the demarcation line.  It is the weakest part of the hair when you’re is transitioning.

4. Genetics are on your side, sometimes.

Naturalistas may not know that genetics play an important role in the type of natural hair you have and its characteristics, according to Natural Hair Community.  The combination of genetics and products that are exposed to the hair can affect the hair in different ways. 

5. Watch what you eat.

Diet also affects your hair.  Having a healthy diet and staying hydrated are an important part of keeping your hair strong. When it comes to hair care, exercising is just as important as a healthy diet.  So is mental health.  Stress can cause hair to stop growing and cause breakage.