This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

So you’ve chosen to study in this beautiful part of the world called Cornwall – but know very little about the place?

Well, digital magazine Cornish Story set up by the Institute of Cornish Studies is the go-to place for readers and writers alike to delve into the culture and history of Cornwall. Cornish Story is a gem for anyone wanting a ‘pik ‘n’ mix’ approach to learning about Cornish life, with book reviews, personal memories, architecture, dance, music and art to name a few of the subjects covered.

I sat down with fellow Creative Writing student Emily Ould, currently working as sub-editor for the magazine, to find out more about Cornish Story:

What do you like most about this particular magazine – I know there are other magazines such as Cornwall Today, but what makes this one unique, or special?

The magazine started out as a printed edition for subscribers but is now available exclusively online, which makes it free and accessible. It’s also a multi-media platform – there’s film as well as images and writing. It’s also not limited for content – we like to document Cornwall’s past and present through any medium – whether creative or academic.    

Do you have a favourite article that you stumbled across as editor?

I like Jackie Harding’s travel writing – she has written several pieces exploring her road trips around the coast of Cornwall and they’re a great read! Her latest piece (published October 1st 2015) explores Gerrans Bay in Portscatho.

Is it a student friendly magazine?

If you want to promote your trade or an event happening in Cornwall, you can write an article which can be uploaded online for free. So that’s free publicity! Over summer I met with local folk duo Salt and Sky as well as aspiring singer-songwriter and fellow Falmouth student Shana King to discuss their music and promote their work and appearances at local events.

We’re also always looking for enthusiastic students to contribute whether they want to write poetry, short stories, articles, or even create a film – if it’s related to Cornwall, were always interested!

How regularly is new content uploaded?

We usually publish on the 1st of every month.

Thank you Emily, we look forward to the next issue!

Want to share your Cornish Stories? How to get in touch:

Emily Ould (Sub-Editor): emily@cornishstory.com

Garry Tregidga (Director):  g.h.tregidga@exeter.ac.uk

You can also check out their FB and Twitter pages: 

https://www.facebook.com/cornishstorymagazine

https://twitter.com/Cornish_story

Currently studying English with Creative Writing at Falmouth University.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.