Team USA Making History at the Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Team USA has always done our nation proud on the world stage. If there could be an overall winner at the Olympics, I would most certainly vote for our squad! This year, the USA was already winning big before they even landed in Pyeonchang. USA’s athletes are making ~history~ not only because of their talent, but also because of the uniqueness of the athletes themselves.

The first record the US smashed this year was the record for having the most athletes. 242 athletes paraded into the arena on Friday night.  The previous record was set in the Sochi 2014 Olympics with 222 members. That record was made by… the U-S-A! We are at the point of breaking our own records.

More importantly, our team is the most diverse! And the best part? People are actually recognizing this historical milestone and the importance of making sure we are all represented and all treated equally.  Olympic athletes are paving the path to start tearing down the walls that are put up around them!

It has also been all over social media that USA has their first openly gay athletes. Gus Kenworthy is a yummy-looking freestyle skier. He was still in the closet during the Sochi Olympics, but is loud and proud about his sexual orientation in 2018.  He also has recently partnered with Head and Shoulders for their “Shoulders of Greatness” campaign.  He’s taking on some of the most difficult obstacles he has seen, on and off the slope, but making huge strides for the LGBTQ community!

Also, openly gay and featured on Kenworthy’s twitter in an ~adorable~ post, is figure skater Adam Rippon.  Rippon is making moves for the LGBTQ community as well, and is making history in more ways than one.  He is the oldest skater to join the team in 80 years, at 28 years old.

Another change we love to see is that the Olympics are starting to get a little more diverse.  As for the summer Olympics, color has not been as big of a problem, but the winter Olympics have been a little colder towards athletes of color.  

Three African Americans have emerged onto the ice for the first time ever!  Maame Biney is not only the first female short-track African American, but she is also the second EVER African-born to represent the US in the Olympics. Erin Jackson is also the first female long-track African American to compete for America.  Serious power to these ladies, and SO much respect for them and the inspiration they create for all of us!

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget about our third Olympian of color. Jordan Greenway accomplished what may have been thought to be impossible.  He became the first African American EVER to play for the United States men’s hockey team. Props to him as well, and thank you Jordan for continuing to send the message that who you are and what you look like should not determine what you can do.

We also have some pretty awesome women representing the US in bobsled.  Our team is good, like real good – and a cool part of our team is that 2/3 are African Americans. They’re all phenomenal athletes, too.  For example, Elena Meyers Taylor was offered collegiate scholarships in not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different sports.  She ultimately chose softball, but repurposed her skills to become one of the best female bobsled drivers and the first to earn a World Title, which she did in 2015.

I say we give a HUGE round of applause to our US Olympian team.  They are most certainly ~killing~ the game in more ways than one.  The viewers at home have plenty to be proud of, and I can’t imagine a better team to represent the USA.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com