From One Girl to Another: Easy Ways to Change Up Your Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

With the ever-changing seasons, we often want to change our looks. Whether it’s a new trend we’ve seen on campus or a new makeup product we’ve liked on Instagram, updating our appearance is just one of the ways we express ourselves. We are lucky enough to have our own personal canvas when it comes to hair, makeup, and clothes. Changes to your style can be as minimal or as drastic as you want them to be. Trust me, it’s amazing how something as simple as a new haircut can change your perspective on life.

Last year from each break, I returned to campus with a new hair color. It started off minimal, around Thanksgiving when I came back with a few light highlights in my brown hair. The following month I went a little extreme by bleaching my entire head blonde. I had thought about going blonde for a while and finally decided to go for it. As I sat in the chair, I couldn’t believe I was actually going through with it and that I was about to look completely different. To this day, I couldn’t tell you why I wanted to bleach my hair blonde and each time I see a picture, I cringe a little.  Channeling my inner Kylie Jenner was fun at the time, but too much to handle in the long-run. My roots began to grow out and when I wore a ponytail in pictures, people thought I went back to brunette until surprise, I turned around and the entire tail was blonde. I know a part of me thought that by changing my hair color I would be viewed differently. However, one thing I’ve come to realize is it doesn’t matter what color my hair is or what clothes I wear, I’d rather be judged by my character and personality than my looks.

Makeup is probably one of the most creative and fun aspects of being a girl. Though makeup isn’t for everybody, it’s a fun way to express ourselves and highlight our features. Personally, changes in my makeup routine are very subtle. I usually stick to the basics on a daily basis; foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrows, and a light highlight on my cheekbones. When I go out, that’s when everything changes. My eye makeup becomes a little more complicated; I might do a smoky eye with heavier eyeliner along with a bold lip color. Changes or additions to our makeup routines can be as simple as adding winged liner or a different colored lip than we’re used to. It’s all about getting out of your comfort zone. For some, going natural is being out of the comfort zone- so give that a try as well! Rock what you got because everyone is beautiful in their own way.

When it comes to clothes and fashion I tend to turn to my friends for inspiration. All of my friends have their own distinct style and I like to try out each one. If you attend Fairfield, you know there are a lot of preppy style lovers.  However, when it comes to my friend’s styles, they couldn’t further from preppy. Yes, I do own the preppy essentials (Bean boots, Hunter’s, a Barbour jacket, and J. Crew apparel) however, I tend to mix and match styles to create my own. Changing your style is fun and easy. Always have a few pieces that you can build your outfits around. Whether it’s your favorite shirt or pair of jeans, adding accessories and layers can make any look uniquely yours. Upgrade your style by adding a bomber jacket or a Lily Sweater. Your look can go in whatever direction you want and inspiration is everywhere and anywhere.

Have fun!

Jackie has been an active member of Her Campus Fairfield over the past two years and is the new Co-Campus Correspondent for Fairfield's chapter. She is a junior communications major with a minor in marketing. She loves baking, sports, sushi, and her Jack Russell Terrier Tipper.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant