The Minds Behind All Things College: “The Syllabus” Creators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Stan Grunder ’16 (left) Mike Trepca ’16 (right)

Sophomores Mike Trepca and Stan Grunder are the co-founders of the witty YouTube series, The Syllabus. The Syllabus, which launched in October 2013, is the guide to “all things college,” however you won’t ever hear any of this from a college admissions department. If you’ve thought something since being in college, Mike and Stan have probably created a video about it, or there’s one coming soon. Read on to learn about the two talented film students who have the Her Campus team laughing every Wednesday when a new college advice segment of The Syllabus is published.

Name: Mike TrepcaHometown: Derby, CTYear: 2016Major: FTM, Journalism, Political Science

Name: Stan GrunderHometown: Camden, MaineYear: 2016Major: FTM

Her Campus: Okay so first, how did you two come up with this idea of The Syllabus?Mike Trepca: There used to be a show on Stags TV called FU Dating, a Fairfield dating advice show. I starred on it as a freshmen. The person who was running it was not a film major or experienced in film so she needed editors. So, I signed on to be an editor. I edited the show with Stan and the more we would edit, the more potential we saw in the show. I thought a unique aspect the show should have was to be non-Fairfield specific. The show was then born.Stan Grunder: Mike and I both worked as editors on a Stags TV show called FU Dating. We both enjoyed working together and working on the show. When the person running the show decided to stop, Mike and I had the amazing opportunity to take over the show. We changed the show a lot and made it our own.

HC: Why did you choose the name The Syllabus?MT: I chose the name The Syllabus because an actual syllabus gives a guide of how a college class would run. The name of the show provides the sense that the show will offer a guide to all things college. We also have a blooper/deleted scene segment called extra credit. The name sticks to the syllabus theme while also suggesting it has some extra content.SG: We were stuck on the name for awhile but finally The Syllabus came to mind. Its a great fit in our minds because it’s the building block of college. Everything is built around the syllabus. Its the root of all evil, yet the fountain of knowledge for all things college.

HC: What are your specific rolls?MT: I am co-creator of the show. Also, I direct the shoots, manage a marketing and editing team, create backgrounds, upload to YouTube, handle all the legal and business side of the show, and I sometimes edit the episodes.SG: I am co-creator and also do the voice-over work for the intro. When we first started, Mike and I both switched on and off from shooting and directing mid-shoot. We also traded off editing. After awhile, I sort of managed a team of editors while Mike took care of marketing.

HC: You’re both underclassmen who have created a YouTube series with a lot of potential. Where do you hope to take it by the time you graduate?MT: By the time I graduate, my goal is for the show to have either been sponsored by a major advertiser or popular web series. Or, I hope that it gets picked up by a national network like VH1, MTV, or TBS. The show could be formatted into a half hour segment so it has potential for that.SG: I hope that the show goes viral on YouTube and that it is a springboard to be picked up by a well known website such as CollegeHumor.

HC: What do you hope to evoke in students who are watching The Syllabus?MT: When making The Syllabus, I want to give students the ability to sit back in their chair and laugh. I want to be able to provide students with a three minute break from their personal stresses. If you’re feeling down or are super stressed about college things, The Syllabus provides a quick upbeat distraction.SG: I hope that The Syllabus makes people laugh and also provides some insight on how to succeed at college. The Syllabus delivers honest tips and tricks while making the viewer laugh out loud.

HC: Sometimes, the speakers comments can certainly stun a viewer. Would you say the show has no boundaries and why do you think that’s important?MT: There is only one boundary … we don’t hurt people’s feelings. It might sound corny, but it’s true. We’re not here to make light of anyone or anything negative. The show is designed to give advice with comedic banter and you’re right: it’s shocking. If you really think about it, we are always playing things safe. With our friends, our professors, our parents, but not anymore. The Syllabus doesn’t hold back in that regard. The cast of actors speak truthfully about what some people actually think. We all walk around thinking this about something or that about someone, but we keep it to ourselves. I say screw that, college campuses need a voice and we’re not afraid to use it.SG: In comedy, to be funny, you will eventually offend or shock someone. I think The Syllabus speaks truthfully and honestly about college. What we don’t do is attack individuals.

HC: What is one reason why everyone should watch The Syllabus?MT: A college freshmen or high school senior wants to know what they can expect in college? Tell them to watch The Syllabus. A college sophomore wants to know what to expect in their internship in the coming junior year? Tell them to watch The Syllabus, that episode is coming soon. A middle-aged mother wants an insight into the college life her daughter has entered into? Tell her to watch The Syllabus. SG: A high school kid looking at colleges can watch The Syllabus to see what college is all about. A college student can watch The Syllabus to seek a laugh and advice toward their college experience. All the moms and dads out there can watch The Syllabus to see what their children are really doing with their tuition money.

HC: Is there anything else you want to share?MT: The Syllabus is the most badass show around.SG: I wouldn’t trade the days I have spent editing and working with Mike for anything in the world. I have a blast working on the show and I think the viewers will have a blast watching it. 

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!