Legislation to Allow Guns on College Campuses: A Collegiette’s Response

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When we think March Madness, we usually think basketball. But this past March there was another type of madness when twelve state senates began reviewing student’s rights to carry and conceal guns on college campuses (Cosmopolitan). Those who support this legislation believe that concealed firearms on campus could be beneficial. It is argued that this practice could prevent sexual assault, though there is no evidence to back that claim up (Cosmopolitan). Advocates also think this could prevent on-campus violence, such as the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007.

A Ball State University study concluded that 95% of college and university presidents want to keep firearms off of their campuses. It was also found that 98% of students and faculty felt safe on their campuses with things as they are (Ball State University). With such an overwhelming number, permitting firearms seems to be an unnecessary step.

In December of 2014, Adam Lanza fatally shot 20 children and 6 adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, not far from Fairfield. The tragedy raised one big question: what can we do to prevent future school violence? There were various responses from all over the country. Wayne LaPierre, Vice President of the NRA, proposed placing armed security guards in schools (The Guardian).

But this proposed solution seems to be flawed. If guns are the problem, why would we want to introduce more to schools? Generally when we identify a problem, we remove factors that cause it. A bill allowing students to carry concealed weapons seems to be counterproductive. It is true that there are restrictions for purchasing firearms, but they are not comprehensive enough. Just because someone doesn’t meet the requirements doesn’t prevent them from accessing a gun. There are other ways of getting guns, like purchasing them illegally.

I am strongly against possessing firearms and do not think that they should have a presence in schools, regardless of who is in possession of them. While schools would take all measures to restrict and monitor gun presence, there is too much risk in having them on campus. There is a difference between putting guns in the hands of trained professionals and allowing college kids to carry them around. If anything, I would feel less secure at a school that allowed this.

Originally from Boston, Caroline is a sophomore International Studies major and French minor at Fairfield University. She is a News Editor for Her Campus Fairfield as well as the Twitter Account Manager. When not hitting the books you can find her talking about cats and over posting on Instagram as @wiccancool.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.