I Ate Like a Gilmore for a Week and I’ve Never Felt Worse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When you think of the iconic show Gilmore Girls, what instantly comes to mind? For me, it’s the mother-daughter duo’s jaw-dropping diet and impressive metabolisms. Each episode includes them guzzling coffee and eating multiple meals made up of pizza, tacos, and junk food. As a devout Gilmore Girls fan, I thought, “how hard could it be to eat like them for a week”? It turns out that it definitely takes training to eat like they do. Here’s what I learned after eating like Lorelei and Rory Gilmore after a week!

Monday

I started off strong on Monday morning with a breakfast including eggs, French toast ~loaded~ with maple syrup, a chocolate chip muffin, and of course coffee. It wasn’t anything from Luke’s, but it definitely would’ve made the Gilmore’s proud. Throughout the day I had coffee, and finished the day with a dinner of French fries, a soft pretzel, and Cocoa Puffs. Dinner was definitely hard and NOT nutritious. I felt sluggish and nauseous throughout the day, but I was hopeful that my body would adjust to my new temporary diet.

Tuesday

When I woke up on Tuesday, I found it almost impossible to get out of bed. I had back to back classes all morning, so I opted for a Pop-Tart and coffee to start my day. I figured, Lorelei Gilmore can put in a full day’s work running on this, so why can’t I? Throughout the day I snacked on cookies and Twizzlers, and topped it all off with some coffee. I took a somewhat-healthy route for dinner and ate a wrap before my turbo. After my night turbo I went to the gym for a spin class and I barely had enough energy to make it through. The junk food I ate throughout the day didn’t give me the energy I needed to get through my day and workout. No wonder Lorelei and Rory never workout.

Wednesday

I woke up at the crack of dawn on Wednesday to go to the gym, but it was even harder than getting up on Tuesday. I was exhausted and had a splitting headache from the junk food. After the gym I feasted on coffee, a chocolate chip muffin, eggs, and some desperately-needed fruit. I had a terrible headache from all of the sugary foods throughout the day, which made me question how someone could possibly eat like this. For dinner I went to Chipotle because Lorelei and Rory would’ve loved their Mexican food. It really started to hit me how unrealistic this diet is and how terrible it makes me feel. Eating like a Gilmore Girl is something I know I’m not cut out for.

Thursday

I definitely made the Gilmore Girls proud on Thursday. Breakfast included coffee, a corn muffin, eggs, tatter tots, and some fruit. Throughout the day I had 2 more cups of coffee, in true Gilmore style. My family picked me up from school and we went on a road trip all the way to north Vermont. What’s a road trip without an insane amount of snacks? I ate pizza, Laffy Taffy, Twizzlers, potato chips, and even a Happy Meal from McDonalds.

Friday

My last day eating like Lorelei and Rory started with a breakfast filled with eggs, a bagel, and coffee. Throughout the day I snacked on candy, candy, and more candy! I finished my day with pasta for dinner and ice cream for dessert. By Friday I was used to eating unhealthy meal after unhealthy meal.

What I Learned

After eating like Lorelei and Rory for a week, I realized how unrealistic and inefficient it is to live eating nothing but unhealthy food. It made me feel sluggish and exhausted. I didn’t have the energy to workout like I usually do and I constantly had headaches from how I was eating. Eating unhealthy like this for the week really made me appreciate my body and health; it’s important to eat like you love yourself! But don’t get me wrong, I’m ~always~ a fan of treating yourself!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com