How Your Relationship With Your Parents Changes As You Get Older

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It can be crazy to think that two people put us onto this earth: our mom and dad. When we are born, the first people we come to know are our parents. As a child there is nothing but love for them, you look up to your parents and want to be just like them. As time goes on, a child enters their pre-teen and teenage years and the relationship with our parents tends to change. There is most likely fighting and arguing, your parents become your worst enemies at times, and it seems almost as if they are trying to ruin your life.

As you get older you begin to realize, why would the people that gave me life in the first place, ruin it? All the annoying things they said and did were only because they love you. When we were young, we didn’t seem to realize how much our parents do for us. It truly is a special moment when you realize your relationship with your parents is no longer a dictatorship, but a friendship.

As you grow older, your relationship with your parents change for the better, and here is how…

They are no longer your enemy, but your two best friends.
As a child, you would get upset with your parents when they put you in time out, wouldn’t let you leave the dinner table without finishing all your food, or make you go to bed when you wanted to stay up and play. Once you reached your teenage years, they were probably your worst enemy. How could they tell you that you had to be home before midnight on a Saturday night? Unless they were changing your name to Cinderella and you were marrying the prince in the end, those rules were not for you. As you get older you realize those rules were in placed to protect you, because they love and care about you. You are no longer enemies, but friends that care for each other.

You realize just because they will be there for you through everything, does not mean that being a brat towards them is okay.
As a teen you knew your parents would always be there for you no matter what. After a long rough day at school, you would go home and take your anger out on the people you knew would never walk out on you. As you get older you realize taking it out on your parents that you failed a math quiz or that your friends really aren’t being good friends to you is not okay. Your parents will always be there for you through everything, there is no need to take your frustrations out on them.

You no longer fear their opinions and feel more comfortable being more open.
As a young adult, you tend to feel nervous talking to your parents about things because you don’t know how they will react. We all just want our parents to be proud of us, but we also want to be able to do what makes us happy. There is pressure to fulfill our parents’ expectations, and because of that it may have been difficult to open up to your parents in the past. As you get older you realize that your parents would never have a negative opinion of you; they just want you to do your best and be open with them about everything.

You understand how difficult it is to be a parent.
At no point in time is having a child easy. As a child you have to care for their every need. As a teen you have to deal with their high school drama. Then when they turn 18, you have to find a way to send them through college. The demands of a parent are equivalent to a full-time job. As you get older you appreciate all that your parents do and commend them for taking on the most difficult job anyone could take on.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant