Every Netflix Show You Need To Watch Before You Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

We all have those shows that we absolutely love to binge watch. For most of us, Netflix is priority over many of our other responsibilities in life. Looking for a new series to start watching? Continue reading to see 10 shows you MUST watch before you graduate college and enter the real world.

1. Gossip Girl

Whether you’re admiring how dreamy Nate Archibald is, or dying because you don’t live the life of Serena Van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl is an absolute must-watch. This show unveils the ‘scandalous lives of Manhattan’s elite,’ and hooks you in like no other.

2. One Tree Hill

Oh… sibling rivalry. One Tree Hill follows the lives of the Scott half-brothers, Lucas and Nathan. When the show was in its first season, it portrays the brothers as mere enemies as they competed for spots on the Tree Hill High basketball team. Eventually, the overwhelming hatred between the two evolves into a true brother-like relationship. For anyone who is looking for the perfect show to watch day in and day out, this is the answer.

3. 90210

90210 is first centralized around the Wilson family, who newly relocated from Kansas City to the Golden State. As the show progresses the family dramas, relationship struggles and broken friendships unravel. This show is more relatable than you may think.

4. Orange Is The New Black

Unlike many of the other shows listed, OITNB is a Netflix original. The setting is literally in a prison, where main character Piper faces jail time for transporting drugs while in college. Piper, a woman with a near perfect record prior to the incident, is thrust into the world of intense criminal behavior and intense punishment. If you love a good, unexpected storyline and some prison drama, this show would be a great one for you.

5. New Girl

New Girl is a quirky comedy about a teacher named Jess, and her newly acquired male roommates. Together, Jess and her roommates tackle everyday obstacles head on, with humor of course. This feel-good, hilarious show is the perfect pick-me-up after a long day of classes, work or just everyday life.

6. Grey’s AnatomyLooking for a thrilling yet addicting show about life in the medical field? Then this series is perfect for you. Grey’s depicts the lives of both surgeons and interns who try to maintain normal lives, friendships and relationships despite their thrilling careers. Since the show has aired ten seasons thus far, viewers are able to see the true evolvement of the characters in both their careers, and in their personal lives.

7. Friday Night Lights

Friday Night Lights follows the journey of a football team in the fictional town Dillon, Texas. After the quarterback of the Panthers becomes paralyzed, the team must rely on their second-string quarterback and new coach for success. The series shows the transition from difficulty to success. Friday Night Lights proves the value of sportsmanship and teamwork when building a successful program and community.

8. How I Met Your Mother

HIMYM is about “best friends, and the stupid stuff they did in New York.” Best friends take on Manhattan, and of course make us laugh every step of the way. The series just finished its 9th and final season, and it is definitely worth the watch.

9. Vampire Diaries

If you’re interested in a blood-chilling drama, watch this show. Vampire Diaries is about a girl named Elena Gilbert, who is in a conflicted love triangle between two older vampires. Oh… and did I mention these two older vampires are brothers? Between her fluctuating love life and battling the emotions due to the loss of her family, Elena is the epitome of a powerful teenage girl (or vampire?).

10. Breaking BadBreaking Bad follows the life of Walter White, a man who was diagnosed with cancer. To compensate with his extremely high medical bills, he creates and sells crystal meth. This series shows the extent people will go to earn income in times of need.

Hey ladies! I'm Alyssa Vicari, a loyal Long Islander from Fairfield's class of 2018. I am a sophomore finance major and marketing minor who loves everything about the fall and everything about coffee. When I'm not studying or writing for HC, you can probably find me at the beach, the mall, watching Netflix, or doing any other thing that #basic college girls enjoy. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @alyssavicari !
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!