jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Artists to Watch: The Lonely Biscuits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It is rare to find a band with a combination of rap, soul, hip-hop and funk in present day music. The Lonely Biscuits, however, defy the borders of one single genre to create a unique blend of all four. This indie band was founded in 2011 and has since gained vast popularity and a faithful fan backing. They entered the College Battle of the Bands in 2012 and won the Southeast regional title. The Lonely Biscuits also won the first ever MTVu College Artist Woodie Award. Other notable winners of the Woodie Awards, which encompass “music voted best by college students,” include Kings of Leon, Matt&Kim, Tech N9ne, Death Cab for Cutie, and many more. The Lonely Biscuits have played at many distinguished venues including the Stone Pony in New Jersey and will continue to tour and release new music this summer. TLB is comprised of four members, Grady (vocals and guitar), Sam (drums), John (vocals, guitar) and Nick (bass). They have released four EPs, Soul Food, Biscuit Buffet, A Girl Named Destiny, and Things Sure Have Changed, which are available to download on iTunes. Make sure to check out their music and read the HCFU exclusive interview below from The Lonely Biscuits!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzcpKw4YIGamOM_NZeJpMg

1.For those who haven’t heard your music, how would you describe your sound?  

-We all have really different influences so when it all comes together I would say it’s kind of like a strawberry banana smoothie. Thick grooves; not too sweet, but sweet enough. 

2.How long have the Lonely Biscuits been together/ how did they come about?

-We formed about 2 and a half years ago in a dorm room at Belmont University. Sam and Grady were random roommates and Nick and John also lived in the same hall, the jams started from there.

3.What inspired you to start the band?

-Grady and Sam met and they both had long hair so they made some music, the band formed shortly after. 

4.What has been the highlight of your career thus far?

-The best part is probably traveling and meeting awesome people along the way. 

5.I know that TLB has been very involved with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. What encouraged you guys to help? Can you elaborate on what you’ve done to aid the community?

-Grady grew up on the Jersey Shore so the storm affected us on a more personal level. We released a song with a video filmed in NJ and donated all of the money from the song to Waves for Water, a relief organization who are working to help rebuild the affected communities. It was a cool experience seeing our song help out some people that mean a lot to us, both through the fundraising and the message of the song.

6.What has been your greatest accomplishment?

-Just making music that people relate to is a pretty cool feeling and accomplishment for us in itself. Other than that, we’ve gotten some selfies with famous people through some shows we played, so that was cool. 

7.What are the three most played songs that could be found on your ITunes playlist?

-Our most played songs are Blue Boy by Mac Demarco, I Just Do by Joe Aiello and Careers in Combat by Parquet Courts.

8.Do you write all of your own music?

-Indeed, we write all our own tunes. 

9.If you weren’t making music, what do you think the members of the Lonely Biscuits would be doing today?

-John would be drawing something at a coffee shop, Sam would be working on a cow farm, Nick would playing some Tony Hawk Pro Skater, and Grady would be interning at a hair salon. 

10.Do you have any upcoming performances?

-We are playing college campus shows every weekend for the rest of the semester. Then we are playing Hangout Music Fest in Alabama in May, and we have some cool plans for a summer tour coming up as well.

11.If you could open for any musician, who would it be? 

-Beyoncé. 

12.What can we expect to see in the future from TLB?

-Music, shows, dancing, fun times.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.