8 Things I Never Thanked My Parents For Until Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit, my parents have done their fair share of driving me utterly insane. Even being away at college, I still have eye-roll moments when their name pops up on my phone in between classes (or 10 o’clock on a Friday night, Dad). Needless to say, there were definitely moments at home that I overlooked and underappreciated over the years. I really miss coming home from a long day at school to vent to them. And when I wasn’t feeling too hot and my mom pestered me to down some bitter cough medicine, instead of attempting to take care of myself by chugging Emergen-C. Oh, and I especially can’t forget all of those long lectures at the dinner table.

As much as my parents drove me crazy, being separated from all of those little things made me recognize that those once irritating rules turned out to be important life lessons. Words can never capture my endless gratitude I have for my parents, but an overdue thank you for everything is a good start:

Thank you for always being my biggest support team

No matter how many random clubs, sports, or extracurricular activities I did, you always gave me all the confidence in the world to believe that I could do anything I wanted. Whether or not that was true, you poured all of your energy into even the smallest of things I tried. You always make me feel important no matter what. College is overwhelming, and I would do anything to have you sitting in my dorm room every morning encouraging me to join that club or team like you would at home.

Thank you for reminding me how important SLEEP really is

As much as I like to fill my days with as many activities as possible, it can all be exhausting. Wearing myself thin made me realize how important sleep is for my health (studying for those 4 exams and writing that research paper in one night can really drain you). Now, I am thrilled to go to bed at 9 o’clock on a Tuesday so I can kick butt on Wednesday. The last thing I need is to get sick, right Mom?

Thank you for teaching me the meaning of hard work

As frustrating as it was to listen to the “importance of hard work” lecture over and over again, this phrase is definitely embedded in my brain. Time management for scatterbrains like me has always been essential. I can credit my impressive work ethic and time management all to you, Mom and Dad. Eight hours a day in the library during finals week? Oh yeah, that A will be worth it!

Thank you for telling me to clean, clean, clean

Being told to clean my room and feeling like a failure as a child for my sloppiness actually made me become THAT neat freak. My dirty clothes somehow end up in the hamper, not on the floor. My bed is made every morning… who would’ve thought? And yes Dad, I actually do know how to vacuum a carpet J. Without feeling like a sloppy human at home, I definitely wouldn’t have been able to keep my dorm as tidy as I do now.

Thank you for telling me when I’m wrong

For all of those times I messed up, and there were plenty, I am extremely grateful for every harsh punishment I faced. If I never had anyone to help me distinguish between right and wrong, I’m sure I would be a train wreck in college. But all thanks to you guys, I somehow manage to keep it all together on my own.

Thank you for emphasizing the importance of a good breakfast

As annoying as it got to be forced to eat every morning when I was already 15 minutes late for school, I would do anything to have breakfast all ready for me everyday instead of having to trek to the dining hall. Even though I’ve settled for instant oatmeal in my dorm room, I still manage to remind myself how important it is to start each day with a good breakfast!

Thank you for teaching me the importance of family

Family dinners, family parties, family vacations, FAMILY, has been the center of my life since I was a kid. Being away at college has made me appreciate all of my cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and even my brother more than I ever have before. I couldn’t be luckier to feel the love from my family even miles and miles away from them.

Thank you for always, always, being my friend

Even when the “how was your day” question became redundant, I couldn’t be more lucky to have parents who continued to ask me that question even when I was being a sass queen. During all of those good and bad days, I always had the comfort of coming home to two parents who would always listen to share my celebrations or ridiculousness with. I knew nothing could ever be that bad, because I always have you guys behind me 100%.

As extensive as I could make this list, no article could ever express the overwhelming appreciation I feel towards my parents. They have done nothing but share a life full of happiness with me, and I aspire to be just half as good of people as they are one day. Cheers to you Mom and Dad! Thanks for everything!!! 

Eva Rago

Fairfield

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.