7 DIY Gifts That Are Better Than A Visa Gift Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you were to include a gift card, I’m sure they’d appreciate that too. 

1. The Sharpie MugThis isn’t a gift you would buy for yourself; but it is something that once you have, you will always use. Plus you can use a mug for almost anything (but please drink responsibly!). 

2. Manicure in a JarInexpensive and personal are always good- but really, you had me at Mason jar.

3. The “Why I love you” giftsThis is a gift where you can get in touch with your sentimental side. “52 Reasons Why I Love You” and “Why I Love You: A-Z” are two of my favorites. Disclaimer: give yourself time to make this gift, coming up with that many reasons why you love someone, no matter how close they are to you, can be a tedious task.

4. Monogram Photo CollageEveryone has that best friend you’ve taken a thousand pictures with- literally. From the ugly Snapchats, to the fun nights out- this gift is a great way to celebrate your friendship.

5. Pinterest Recipe BookThink you’re the only one that spends hours comprising those delicious recipes on your “must try” board- you are not alone, my friend. Take your favorites (or your friend’s favorites) and put them in a book. Now you’re one step closer to making that homemade Twix bar- you’re welcome.

6. Instagram Canvas PrintIs your friend super ~ArTsY~**? Take her famous Insta from this summer- when she happened to catch the sunset at the beach- and turn it into a print. So she can remember that time she got 100 likes, of course.

7. Milestone Gift BasketsIt’s your best friend’s 21st birthday and there are two gift baskets options: the one that contains alcohol, and the one that contains the hangover remedy. Both are of equal value, so I suggest going in on this present with a friend.

Follow Caroline on Twitter

Caroline Metcalf-Vera is a sophomore at Fairfield University majoring in Communications. Here at Her Campus Fairfield, she is the Executive News Editor. When she isn't in class or writing you'll probably find her camped out in the Mezz with at least three beverages. Guilty pleasures consist of: cotton candy ice cream and early 2000s rap.
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!