5 Summer Products for Melt-Proof Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When it comes to summer, SPF is the only product you should be laying on thick. Warmer weather and longer days call for light, long-lasting makeup. Try some of these must-have beauty products to achieve that natural summer look.

Face

Nothing is worse than putting on a full face of foundation, then going out into the summer heat and your face literally just melts off, leaving a caked-on disaster. Avoid looking like a hot mess by trying a more lightweight product such as tinted moisturizer, which typically has SPF in it. A must if you’re going to be in the sun!

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30, $42.00

Eyes

When sweat, oil, and powder mix, the result is not pretty. During summer, stick to cream-based products on the eyes. A sheer cream shadow won’t crease or cake, and also acts as a primer if you just can’t resist reaching for your powder eye shadow. 

Benefit Cosmetics Creaseless Cream Shadow, $20.00

Lashes

Waterproof mascara is a no-brainer in the summer. Everyone wants those lush, look-at-me lashes, but typical mascaras are no match against the ruthless summer heat or a swim in the ocean, leaving you with those rather unattractive raccoon eyes. To get the same long-lasting look, use waterproof mascara that’s perfect for a day at the beach or lounging by the pool.

CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Waterproof Mascara, $8.99

Cheeks

Like eye shadow, powder blush and perspiration are a disaster waiting to happen. For that natural, flushed glow that will last all day, opt for a cream or gel blush on the apples of your cheeks instead. Often times, these products can be used multiple ways too, such as on the lips or as a quick sweep of color on the lids. 

Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée, $22.00

Lips

Lip-gloss may seem like the perfect summer product; it’s fun, easy to apply, and looks good. That it does, until the sun comes out. Throw a little heat into the mix, and that gloss turns into a sticky, runny mess. This summer, try a tinted lip balm. Made with a higher wax content than other lip products, tinted lip balm will offer a healthy hint of color on the lips without drying or smudging. 

Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain, $6.49

Karolina is a senior at Fairfield University with a major in Communications and a minor in Professional Writing. A newly appointed style editor this year, she has a passion for all things beauty and fashion. Follow her on instagram @kaphrodite!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.