10 Things You Will Appreciate About Home Once You’re Living at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The transition from high school to college, or even from summer break back into the swing of college life, comes with its advantages and disadvantages. It is when you are away from home, that you realize and appreciate the things that being home has to offer. Continue reading to see some of the things you will absolutely admire more once you are in college!

1. FamilyBetween parents who just want what’s best for you, those annoying little siblings that are always trying to get under your skin, and the older brothers or sisters who are so excited you are now in college too, your family is always there. Leaving family members each time you leave for school is probably one of the hardest things you’ve ever had to do.

2. Your Own Bed/RoomUgh, how we long to be in the comfort of our own bed. Whether it’s the pillows, childhood blankets or stuffed animals that you can’t sleep without, or laying in a bed that’s bigger than the standard college twin XL, your bed at home is the most amazing thing ever. Just knowing that it is your bed, (not the school’s bed), gives you more security than you could ever imagine. It is nice to look around your room at home, and know that this is the place you will miss the most while at school.

3. Single BathroomsAt Fairfield U, as well as many other schools across the nation, freshmen have to partake in the unfortunate use of a communal bathroom. Here, it is virtually impossible to shower, use the restroom, or even brush your teeth without seeing a familiar face in the bathroom. I bet you never thought you would miss your bathroom when leaving your college, did you? Adjusting to this lifestyle has been pretty big, but hey, the bathroom situation will only get better from here (hopefully.)

4. Your Own ShowerRemember the last time you showered without your shower shoes on? Because it must have been the last time you were in the comfort of your own home’s bathroom. Since these bathrooms are shared with multiple people, it is clearly unsanitary to shower without them. At least for me, flip-flops are a bathroom essential. I really look forward to going home just so I can shower barefoot… and sing without feeling judged!

5. Your Clothes You Didn’t Have Enough Room To BringOh… the beauty of storage. When at college, we students unfortunately have to learn how to consolidate. Between buying all of the bins and organizers BB&B had on the shelves, and learning how to let go of some of your fave clothes and shoes, we learned how reduce and improve our storage skills. Obviously, the dorms come equipped with some form of storage, but it is unlikely to compare to your closet or dressers back home. Girls typically have more clothes, shoes and handbags than they know what to do with, so having adequate storage for your precious belongings is definitely something we take for granted when going off to school.

6. Your Pet

We all know how much we love our pets, but did we ever thing we would actually miss them more than some of our friends? No matter what mood we are in, pets always somehow have the ability to comfort us. So the next time your dog/cat/pet wants to snuggle and you push him/her out of the way, remember how much you will miss those snuggles while you are lonely in your dorm room.

7. Home Cooked Meals

There’s no food like mom’s food… am I right? Eating the food in the dining hall does not even compare to the types of foods your family members can prepare for you. From lasagna and chicken parm, to salmon and your favorite steak, good food is seriously something you appreciate more; especially when your meal plan requires you to eat in Barone everyday.

8. Your Own Hair/Nail SalonI know I’m not the only one who was dying to go home just to get a mani-pedi and haircut. There is something about your own hair salon that makes you not even want to try the ones near your school. I don’t know about you guys, but the lady at my salon at home is the only person I will probably ever trust to cut my hair. And even though the salons by the school are probably just as good, having to try something new gives us anxiety!

9. Your Favorite Places to DineBesides having to adjust to campus food, an extremely difficult change is realizing that you no longer have the comfort of your favorite restaurants. College, unfortunately, comes with having to try new places. All I know is that once I know when I’m coming home to New York, I reserve time specifically to get a New York bagel and slice of pizza, something CT just can’t provide.

10. Driving/Your CarHaving the ability to go wherever you want, whenever you want is something a first or second year student at Fairfield U will greatly miss. Being able to just get in your car, blast your favorite songs and road trip around town are things your life will seriously miss once in college. I mean don’t get me wrong… the Stag bus is pretty rockin’ too!

Honestly, there really is no place like home.

Hey ladies! I'm Alyssa Vicari, a loyal Long Islander from Fairfield's class of 2018. I am a sophomore finance major and marketing minor who loves everything about the fall and everything about coffee. When I'm not studying or writing for HC, you can probably find me at the beach, the mall, watching Netflix, or doing any other thing that #basic college girls enjoy. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @alyssavicari !
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!