Otto Magee ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Name?

Otto Magee

Hometown?

Natick, Massachusetts

Major?

Geoscience with a music minor

Activities on campus?

I’m part of F&M Builders, Gaming Society, F&M Options, the Anime Club, and also the head of the TECHouse

What has been your biggest accomplishment at F&M?

Starting the TECHouse

What is the TECHouse?

It’s a house that encourages student projects and collaboration in technology, engineering, and general creativty (TEC). I had to speak with President Porterfield, Lori Foust, and Dean Hazlett to set it up.

What did you do your Hackman on this summer?

I worked with Professor Amy Hoffman to synthesize zircon crystals in a 1200 degree celsius furnace in the Hackman building. The synthesized zircon crystals had titanium and other elements added into them to observe changes in the compositions formed.

Most and least favorite part of it?

Favorite part was getting to use the equipment that F&M has – like the Scanning Electron Microscope, also getting versed in how to use it. My least favorite part was that there was a lot of reading involved to get up to speed with the tasks, but I understand why it was needed.

Any advice for the freshmen?

Make sure you take advantage of as much as you can on campus, because you only have so much time to.

Ben or John?

I would go with John, since he’s the lesser appreciated one, but Ben is so cool – he invented the glass armonica!

I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.