Best and Worst Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The smell of warm pumpkin lattes, the beautiful fall trees, and the dread of finals just around the corner. Your room may be too messy, your roommate too noisy, your hall too barren for you to sit down and concentrate. My dear student, you need to know the hidden gems on our campus that are here to aide your studying habits and the ones that are complete no-no’s.

1. College Center – Is not a place you want to study. In my own personal experience, sometimes you can’t even find a good spot. Need to keep your laptop charged? there aren’t many plugs in the center, plus everyone you know walks through it. You get distracted by food, people and even by the shiny little things being sold.

2. College Center Basement – Just a flight of stairs below. Located next to the mailroom, if you’re looking for some piece and quiet but don’t like the feel of a library, this is the place for you. The only downside is that the internet isn’t always that great.

3.  ITS – The Information Technology Services zone is located in the basement of Harris and can be accessed through the back door that faces Martin. ITS offers you a study room big enough for all your group. White boards, a T.V. (to catch up on movies for class) and of course, computers on computers. ITS is a great technological resource that can be used any night for your studying pleasures.

4. The libraries– They’re good, they offer you tons of resources, even rooms and privacy to study but if you want to spend all night in them that’s a problem. On one hand you can get your work done fast and efficiently. on the other hand, Martin has little space but stays open longer and Shad has more space but closes earlier. Set a time to study at the library before moving on to another spot.

5. ZeBi’s– The upstairs is a wonderful place to read and to people watch. You even have access to food and water , and not many people spend their nights there.   

6. Your Own Room-Sometimes the best place to settle down and go over those history notes is your own room.  

7.  Your Major’s Lounge Area – If you’re one of the few lucky people with cubicles or access to the lounge area, use it! If a friend is using it, join him or her. Not only are you in your own building, you’re also surrounded by fellow students studying the same subject.

In conclusion we have many study spots on campus and they all can aide you or disturb you while studying. Everyone has different study habits, so be sure to check out or make a list of the places where you seem to be most productive.

Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.