Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Once again, HCX round-up’s the The Top 5 News Stories of the Week to keep you in the loop about everything that is going on outside the Exeter bubble.

Shadow Cabinet Shake Up

Ed Miliband has revealed a dramatic new shake up to his shadow cabinet.  One of the most drastic changes is his sacking of Diane Abbott as shadow cabinet health minister. Abbott made headlines for her comments on racial relations in the UK and what she called the “pornification” of British culture. Abbot does not appear to be bitter about her dismissal, stating Milliband had been “very nice”. Speculation has already begun as to whether Abbott will run for London Mayor in 2016.

Miley Cyrus and Sinead O’Connor Feud

After Miley Cyrus credited Sinead O’Connor’s music video ‘Nothin Compares 2U’ as a key inspiration for her music video to new single ‘Wrecking Ball’, O’Connor responded by writing the young singer an open letter. In the letter, O’Connor expressed her concern and advised Miley to change her behaviour. Miley responded with a series of tweets that appeared to brush off O’Connors comments and mock her previous bout of ill mental health. The two singers are now embroiled in an online spat with O’Connor threatening legal action.

EDL Leader Tommy Robinson Quits Group

Tommy Robinson has stepped down from his position as leader of the controversial English Defence League. Known for their anti-Islamic policies, the group is widely regarded to be a collective of racist extremists. Robinson steps down as he no longer wishes to be associated with the violence that some members of the group promote but states that his opinions on foreign policy and religion within the UK have not changed. His Deputy Leader Kevin Carroll stepped down from his position the next day.

Syria Chemical Weapon Monitors Wins Nobel Peace Prize

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the official body put together to oversee the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons has won the Nobel Peace Prize. The OPCW has been committed to ridding the world of chemical weapons for the past 16 years.            

Downtown Abbey: a twist too far?

*spoiler alert*

This popular television drama took the country by storm 4 years ago with its 1920’s upstairs/downstairs drama. But last Sunday’s third instalment into the series’ fourth series saw an unexpected turn in the plot. Popular ladies maid Anna Bates, played by Joanne Frogatt was cruelly beaten and raped by new valet Mr Green, played by Nigel Harmon. While both actors gave strong performances, some have questioned and criticised the dark nature of this new storyline and it’s appropriateness in a mostly lighthearted family drama.

Photo credits: www.telegraph.co.uk, www.huffingtonpost.co.uk, www.blogs.telegraph.co.uk, www.theguardian.co.uk, www.bbc.co.uk, www.backpocketcoo.com 

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.