The Secrets of Intimate Waxing Revealed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Waxing ‘down there’ – a thought that sends shudders of fear down many a spine. Will it hurt? What should I have done? Is it awkward? The list of questions is endless. The issue of how and to what extent we should tame our pubic hair has been around for years, but, according to beauticians, has become far more of a concern in the past couple of decades. So HCX teamed up with Richard Beaumont Longbrook Salon to answer some of those questions that frankly many of us are too embarrassed to ask. With numerous years experience, the team at the salon are more than qualified to answer every question and were only too happy to help us out. 

Honestly, is it painful?

Some girls may experience pain, it really depends on your pain threshold. Inevitably some areas are more sensitive than others however the more you get it done, the less painful it becomes as your hairs thin and less grows back. Martyna at the salon only uses hot wax for intimate waxing which means the wax actually grabs the hair so when she pulls it off, she is not pulling at the skin.

How long does it last?

It tends to last for around two weeks before a slow re-growth begins but it will be up to four weeks before you will need the treatment again – a lot less hassle than constantly using other methods.

What do I wear during the wax?

The Longbrook Salon provides disposal pants to wear during the treatment so you still feel covered. Lots of attention to detail has been put in to make you feel as relaxed as possible with calming music playing, feminine hygiene wipes provided along with a modesty towel.

We hear waxing can be expensive, how much does it cost?

Waxing generally costs between £15-£30 depending on the style chosen. However, Richard Beaumont’s prices start at £12.95 for a Bikini wax and range up to £29 for a Hollywood but don’t forget about that 15% student discount!

What happens if I come on my period but I have a wax booked?

It is best to try and book your treatment so it doesn’t fall at the same time as your period as some of us girls tend to be more sensitive around that time. If you do get your period you can still have your wax as normal, Martyna has been in the industry long enough that so long as you are comfortable having it done on your period, it is no problem with her!

Is there a time of month that is best to have your wax?

Due to hypersensitivity around the time of your period it is best to avoid waxing for 7 days before you are due and 7 days after your period.

Hollywood, Brazilian, G string, Bikini… what do these all mean? 

Hollywood – Everything off front to back

Brazilian – Everything leaving a strip only

G String – High sides, buttocks and top

High Bikini – High sides and top

Bikini – Crease of the leg

Martyna tells us that Hollywood tends to be the most popular but the most important thing is to find what works best for you.

The answers to all these questions left me feeling curious and very much at ease with the idea of waxing so I decided to try intimate waxing out (being an intimate waxing virgin myself). Martyna informed me that my hair type is naturally quite strong so shaving only aggravates it and makes it even stronger and more stubborn. Initially I opted for High Bikini but changed then for G string – The process was not as painful as I had imagined. It was relatively pain free although in some areas it felt a little uncomfortable than in others! At no point did I feel awkward (as I was expecting to!) and if anything I felt relaxed knowing that the treatment was in the hands of a professional who was so friendly and reassuring too.

After the treatment I felt happier and almost cleaner, I honestly don’t know what had been stopping me in the past but I will definitely be going back to Martyna and having a wax done again!

HCX and Richard Beaumont hope we have answered some of your questions about intimate waxing and have reassured you enough to try it out for yourself, so why not pop into the salon for a free consultation and patch test? Stop beating around the bush and give it a try!