This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Valentine’s Day is swiftly approaching and the buzz of the holiday is in the air. The shops are full of cards, the florist business is booming and all the smug couples are organising how they are going to celebrate the romantic day. However, for all those that love the celebration, there are a thousand more who absolutely hate it. Yes, V- Day is definitely the marmite of the holiday seasons, screaming “depression” rather than“celebration” for many. For those that aren’t so sure about the dreamy day, HCX has outlined some key reasons to celebrate it!

Many singletons are wary of Valentine’s Day because it appears to be a day solely for lovers. However, if you look at the origins surrounding the day- it is obvious that this holiday was actually intended for those single ladies. February 14th was originally a pagan festival of fertility called Lupercalia.  During this festival men would strip down to their birthday suits and spank young, single maidens in hopes of increasing their baby-making skills. How fifty shades!

Another story surrounding the legend of Valentine’s Day is that of ‘Saint Valentine’.  During the Roman empire, a ban was put in place preventing soldiers from getting married. St. Valentine defied the ban, performing marriages in secret. This led to the popular motif of the “secret Valentine” that we know and love today! Valentines were evidently meant to be secret, with men secretly declaring their love to a single woman. Yes, in the Roman times this ended in marriage, but today this can end with a sneaky hook-up in the top top of TP.

In fact Valentine’s Day can almost be seen as more exciting for those who are not already in a relationship. If you do receive any anonymous cards or flowers, the mystery surrounding them can be very intriguing and oh-so-fun. If you receive a “secret” card in a relationship, you know straight away who it is from and despite being very sweet, isn’t all that thrilling.

Don’t get us wrong, there are plenty of reasons for couples to take part and celebrate the day too. This is probably the one time in the year that you are allowed to be as cheesy as you want without offending too many people, so you should definitely take advantage of that. For all those macho men out there, V-Day is a fantastic time to let down your guard down and spoil that special lady. Similarly, it’s not very often that us students are given the opportunity to dress up in our favourite ensemble and head out for a romantic dinner (sport/society dinners do not count) and February 14th definitely provides us with an excuse to do this.

Another important reason to celebrate Valentine’s Day is the fact that it is a holiday. February 14th falls on a Tuesday this year so take advantage of the holiday season have a well needed day- off nursing that hangover from Monday night Mosaic! It’s also the perfect opportunity to treat your friends after all if you are feeling a little down in the dumps on V-Day, a homemade heart shaped cookie is definitely going to cheer you up.

There you have it then, several important reasons to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re single, in a relationship or wanting to celebrate it with your friends, February 14th is a day for everyone. For all those haters out there, Valentine’s day is meant to be the celebration of love so stop hating and become a V-Day convert!

Photo Credits: https://www.facebook.com/ModaOlmazsaOlmazimiz?fref=tswww.fatima-love-it.tumblr.com, www.itsmyheartsong.tumblr.com, www.thepioneerwoman.com