Miley Cyrus: Twerking Too Far?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Miley Cyrus, who was once known for her squeaky clean Disney image and hugely popular Hannah Montana franchise, is now more likely to be found making headlines for drug use racy photo shoots and of course, twerking

Her most recent scandal to date was that performance of Blurred Lines with Robin Thicke at this year’s MTV VMAs. Now, I know that I’m guilty of throwing some questionable moves on the Arena dance floor, but I don’t think anything would ever motivate me to give that routine a public outing. 

[pagebreak]

Reaction on the most part has been extremely negative, with Robin Thicke’s own Mum describing the main problem with the performance being that she could “never unsee it”. 

But there has been support from other fellow celebrities including Selena Gomez and Lady Gaga. While it may not be how the majority of us decided to celebrate breaking free of our childhood constraints, is Miley simply exercising her right to express herself as a woman or even just having some good-natured fun? 

At HCX, we’re still undecided as to what we think of Miley’s performance and if somehow you still haven’t seen it, be sure to have a look

Credits: eonlin.com : music.disney.com ; dailymail.com 

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.