HCX Pick of Chrismas Events From Around the Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Author: Vanessa Sharman 

Knitted jumpers, woolly scarves, bobble hats, mince pies, turkey, brandy butter, an endless stream of presents, long walks, embarrassing family traditions – and people still doubt that Christmas is by far the best holiday of the year. To top it off, Christmas begins with an infinite amount of events, ranging from the Christmas markets, ice rinks, late night shopping and more. So, to help you manage what to do this Christmas, Her Campus have put a little list together to ensure you make the most of the festive season!

Exeter Christmas Market 21st November-19th December

Set up against the backdrop of Exeter’s cathedral with an extensive array of handcrafts, foods from around the world and biscuits in all shapes and sizes, this year’s Christmas market is not to be missed.  For me it is best to visit in the evening, wrap up warm, take a stroll down to the cathedral green, listen to the carols and enjoy a hot mug of traditional Gluwhein.

Frankfurt Christmas Market – Birmingham –14th November – 22nd December

Birmingham’s take on the traditional German Christmas market has become a huge favourite with locals and visitors from all around the UK. It is now the largest outdoor Christmas market in the country, prizing itself with over 190 stalls. Browse the selection of handmade toys, Christmas decorations, and original jewellery; snack on the grilled sausages, pretzels, gingerbread, crepes and marzipan sweets; or sip on the Gluhwein and German beer. It really is not one to be missed.

And if its distance your worried about there are many others across the country;

Bath: 28th Novmenber – 15th December

Bristol: 8th November – 22nd December

Winter Wonderland – London 22nd November – 5th Jan 2014

This year London’s winter wonderland is predicted to be bigger and better than ever before, boasting a Lycamobile ice rink, magical ice kingdom, Zippos Christmas circus, giant observation wheel, thrill seeking rides, Arctic Circle and SANTA!!! What more can be said.

Somerset House Ice Rink

“London’s favourite outdoor ice rink” ES Magazine

“The coolest rink of all” The Sunday Times

The most spectacular ice rink in London!!! 

Cinderella – Norwich Theatre Royal  17th December – 19th January 2014

Pantomimes – one of those embarrassing family traditions we hate to admit that we actually love. Scripted heckling and cross-dressing silliness the pantomime may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but with endless opportunities across the country this Christmas I am sure even the grumpiest of men will end up letting out a full-hearted laugh at this festive opportunity.

Photocredits: marketplaceeurope.blogspot.co.ukbirminghamofftrack.files.wordpress.comcdn.londonandpartners.comwww.bambinogoodies.co.uksecure.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...