HCX Guide To Keeping Up With The News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Being at university can be a bit like being stuck in an amazing bubble at times. It’s easy to get so engulfed in Cheesy Tuesdays, Timepiece hangovers and Marxist theory that you forget there’s a world outside of the ivory towers and theoretic frameworks.

It might seem like watching the news is the easiest way to stay up to date with the news, and that would be true- if you weren’t at uni! Most students in halls don’t have a tv or licence so it’s difficult to just tune in. And whilst you might catch up on New Girl or 90210 online, it seems weird watching the news on catch up. 

But to help keep you in the loop and with your feet firmly on the ground (after freshers week at least) HCX have compiled the ultimate guide to news websites and blogs to give you the best, most insightful and entertaining news around. 

[pagebreak]

If it’s serious national and world news you’re looking for the traditional news outlets are still the best place to go. Unless you have lots of lectures and are on campus everyday (where you can buy most of the main papers at a discounted rate), websites are the best place to look.

• The Guardian 
  • The Independent
  • The Times (despite the pay wall, if it’s your paper of choice it’s well worth paying to support it)
  • The Huffington Post (a great online paper, winning awards for best online journalism
  • Salon (a great alternative online paper, bit American focused but interesting and alternative stories)

However, it’s not just serious news you can miss out on at university; sometimes when you feel like you’re drowning in thought provoking, difficult study all you want is some light frivolous relief.  

• The Daily Mail (WARNING: this is incredibly addictive. Approach their gossip column with due precaution)
  • Jezebel (great for a bit of a different take on gossip, still all the fun but less derogatory. Like them on facebook for links to great articles and funny videos

Another great way to keep up to date is Twitter, although this has to come with another warning. You might be looking for serious news on your twitter feed but the lifestyle and instagram updates from the made in Chelsea cast can become a serious distraction!

And of course the best place to stay up to date with all of this is Her Campus Exeter

Phot Credits : The Daily Mail, Jezebel, The Huffington Post, The Guardian, The Independent, The Salon, The Times.