HCX Campus Celebrity: Katie O’Connor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Meet Katie O’Connor who is running to be your next VP Activities SABB! Her Campus Exeter caught up with Katie to find out why YOU should vote for #OCONNORCAN in the guild elections this week…

Name: Katie O’Connor

Year: 3rd Year Drama

Campus Celeb Status: Running for VP Activities and all round superstar

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself… During the summer I work for Jägermeister at different festivals around the country

What is your favourite thing about Exeter? I love the variety of things to do in Exeter – in half an hour you can be at the beach, or Dartmoor, walking along the River or sunning yourself outside our beautiful cathedral. It’s a gorgeous city to live in.

What would be a perfect Saturday in Exeter for you?  I love having fun on Saturdays. Fore Street has some really unique shops to look round, followed by a lazy lunch at The Fat Pig and then a walk by the Quay. Of course, the sunnier the better!

What is your proudest moment since starting Uni? Last term I organised and pulled off the Xpression Children in Need showcase at The Grove. I collaborated with 6 different societies and we managed to raise over £1,400. It was a really fun event and if you haven’t tried one of their alcoholic milkshakes I’d definitely recommend them!

Why did you decide to run for VP Activities? Over the years, my love for this University has grown. It has amazing facilities, resources and opportunities to meet great people and experience new things. However, I’ve slowly seen the issues that students are facing and become aware of problems that need to be sorted. I know that my ideas and solutions could make the difference.

What makes you different from the other candidates running for VP Activities? My manifesto has been made in collaboration with students, the Guild and the University. This means that if I were to be elected ideas could be rolled out straight away. I want to rebuild the relationship between the Guild and the AU because we need to work together to create a better University rather than against each other.

How’s the campaign going so far? I think it’s going really well – I have a great team behind me and together we are getting my message out there. I’ve been surprised by how friendly people are and they really are interested in what I can do for them. I was extremely happy with how the debate went last night and I’m just so thankful for everyone’s support so far.

Sum up your campaign for us in three words… Passionate, realistic and creative

And finally why should WE vote for YOU? Because I’m the most prepared, the one who cares the most about the student experience, and completely committed to this role. Tweet me at #canoconnor to ask any questions you may still have

Like her page on Facebook to keep updated https://www.facebook.com/oconnorcanVPactivities and follow her on twitter @oconnorcan4vp and on Instagram @oconnorcanvpacitivities Lastly take a look at her video if you need a final reason as to why Katie O’Connor should be your next VP Activities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdGNO_-24Jw