Films That Inspired Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Undoubtedly, films have inspired every single one of you to travel at some point: whether you begged your parents to send you to summer camp after watching The Parent Trap; you’re off to New York in the hopes of recreating your own romantic scenes from Breakfast at Tiffany’s; eager to learn survival skills in the backwoods of North Carolina aspiring to become the next Hunger Games heroin; or simply wanting to witness the stunning New Zealand backdrop of The Lord of the Rings first hand.

With the prospect of lectures looming, you’re all going to need a film collection to get you through the term: chances are you won’t make it through this list (which is by no means complete!) without having a holiday booked at the end of it!

NEW ZEALAND: The Lord Of The Rings

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy will have you gawping at unbelievable sights. The New Zealand tourism industry has caught onto this and you can now marvel at many of the film locations first hand: admire the detailed ‘Hobbiton’ set near the North Island town of Matama; trek the Tongariro Crossing to absorb the views of Morder; and drive through scenic Glenorchy near Queenstown to pass the fortress of ‘Isengard’.

PARIS: Moulin Rouge, Amélie

Despite Taken showing the less glamorous side of chic Paris, films Amélie and Moulin Rouge will have you reaching for your beret and skipping down the Champs Elysées faster than you can say “un croissant, s’il vous plaît”!

[pagebreak]

LAS VEGAS: The Hangover, the Ocean’s films, 21, What Happens in Vegas

“Is this THE Caesar’s Palace?”

THAILAND: The Beach, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, The Hangover Part 2

Everyone wants to follow in the footsteps of Leonardo DiCaprio and find their own idyllic untouched paradise beach. Ironically though, the repercussions to Thailand’s tourist industry have made this less and less possible. Although The Beach is now a crowded Gap Year daytrip stop and Bangkok was expected to be the most visited city in 2013, there is still plenty in Thailand to draw you in.

BALI: Eat Pray Love

Eat Pray Love is somewhat of a phenomenon in Bali’s cultural centre of Ubud, highlighting its spiritual offerings, yoga, rice paddies, friendly locals and never ending health cafés. Bear in mind though that this country has so much more to offer…

[pagebreak]

INDIA: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Slumdog Millionaire, The Darjeeling Limited, Life of Pi

Opulent colours, spice-enriched flavours, bustling markets and lavish architecture… What will entice you to this enthralling country?

ROME: Angels and Demons, EuroTrip, La Dolce Vita

Starting in Vatican City you can take a walking tour of the filming locations used for Angels and Demons, bringing the historic landmarks of Rome to life.

GREEK ISLANDS: Mamma Mia

Quaint tavernas selling wine by the carafe; a rickety little fishing boat clad with a solitary sunbaked fisherman; white-washed walls and azure seas… These are all sights to behold on your arrival to any Greek island. However, stay away from Greek island Skopelos if the idea of tourists siging toe-tapping Abba hits makes you queasy!

[pagebreak]

NYC: Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Sex and the City, Maid in Manhattan, Spiderman, King Kong, The Day After Tomorrow

There is an endless repertoire of films that will have you daydreaming about strutting down Fifth Avenue with Carrie Bradshaw, experiencing that upside-down kiss with Spiderman and sipping champagne at The Plaza with a mystery man. Any iconic story here is bound to be about romance and will most likely involve the end of the world!

VENICE: Casanova, Casino Royale

You won’t be able to resist cruising down the Grand Canal in a gondola searching for your very own Casanova or James Bond.

AMERICA: The Hunger Games

You can now be Katniss Everdeen with Hunger Games Fan Tours offering adventure weekends teaching basic survival skills like archery, shelter building and camouflage.

[pagebreak]

THE SEA: Pirates of the Caribbean

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain.

ALASKA: Into the Wild

Although Alaska may not necessarily be your desired destination at the end of this film, it has a whole host of messages to inspire any adventurous young traveller to see what they want from life and grab it with both hands. Into The Wild follows the story of graduate Christopher McCandless who has every top career within reach. So what does he do? He abandons it all, giving his entire $24,000 savings to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska.

Photo Credits: Pinterest

Carrie Ashton is a third year Geography student and Deputy Travel Editor for HCX. Having been on a committee each year so far (organising the Exeter Halls Summer Ball and Treasurer for GeogSoc), she is keen to be part of something new - starting the travel section of Her Campus being the ideal opportunity! Having grown up in South Africa and travelled fairly extensively since and in her Gap Year, Carrie has a keen interest in travel. Although she loves lying in the sun with a good book, it is the more adventurous trips that she enjoys - including scuba diving, sailing and reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro last year in aid of Practical Action.